Notices

Recommended fitter, Bham area?

Search this Thread

Old 28 November 2005, 07:31 PM
BonzWRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Recommended fitter, Bham area?

Hi. Can anyone recommend someone to fit new suspension to my 96 WRX, in the birmingham area. Not willing to leave it with some local cowboy fitter, that you cant get quicker than .
Want shocks and springs fitted (they are seperate) and ideally geom done at the same time.
Cheers
Old 28 November 2005, 10:27 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If south midlands:
Powerstation
API Engines

Noth mids

Scoobyclinic

B'ham?
Nobody!
Old 28 November 2005, 11:23 PM
T-gro
Scooby Regular

You could try Xtreme in Dudley: http://www.xtreme-uk.net/

I have my type-r serviced there, and have never had a problem. They can do the geo too. They know their way around the car for sure.

Saying that, as I have AST's I usually get powerstation to do the chassis work.
If you don't mind the travelling, you won't regret a visit!
Old 29 November 2005, 07:18 AM
Scooby Regular

I had my first set-up done at Xtreme 3 years ago, and they were good, just thought they had gone to the wall.
Take the day off, take it to Powerstation.
Graham.
Old 29 November 2005, 09:22 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BonzWRX
Hi. Can anyone recommend someone to fit new suspension to my 96 WRX, in the birmingham area. Not willing to leave it with some local cowboy fitter, that you cant get quicker than .
Want shocks and springs fitted (they are seperate) and ideally geom done at the same time.
Cheers
Bonz, We can do all that, to any spec you want. We've recently bought a corner weight machine which is essential for getting the balance of the car right. So now we can really get to grips with the suspension.

David APi Impreza / APi Engines
www.apiengines.com
Old 29 November 2005, 12:38 PM
Scooby Regular

You kept that quiet!
Made all the difference to my 911.(and any car)
Graham.
Old 29 November 2005, 01:00 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer

Originally Posted by 911
You kept that quiet!
Made all the difference to my 911.(and any car)
Graham.

Listen!, If we tell you guys what we can do down here at APi you all come here, get in the way, drink coffee, ask stupid questions, How we EVER supposed to get any work done?

Pesky customers !!

David APi

PS I've just been to the ' Branco' charm school - does it show ??
Old 29 November 2005, 06:19 PM
Scooby Regular

Have you stopped the saturday Bacon Butty run?

It is very rare for a Company to have such a facillity, let alone consider it a true part of suspension tuning.
Believe it or not, I actually designed the corner weighting 'scales' for Maclaren in the 70's.
For real.
Graham.
Old 29 November 2005, 08:44 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by 911
Have you stopped the saturday Bacon Butty run?

No sir !, it costs me about 30 quid most Saturdays - worth every penny in my opinion.

It is very rare for a Company to have such a facillity, let alone consider it a true part of suspension tuning.

How can you set up coil-overs without it? Can't be done correctly - no matter who you are. I've driven so many cars that handle like a donkey in a swamp after they've had coil overs fitted that l figured l should be able to prove to the proud [ and sometimes now skint ] owner what he had got for his money !!

Believe it or not, I actually designed the corner weighting 'scales' for Maclaren in the 70's.
For real.
Graham.
Real fame that - can l have your autograph??

I once met a bloke, who knew a bloke, who'd sat next to bloke, that knew someone on tele - Beat that !!

Seriously!, in that case you know the point I am making about corner weights.

So we'll see you one Saturday then ??

David APi
Old 29 November 2005, 10:23 PM
Scooby Regular

Yes, you might at that.
I had my 911 done the good old way with the Pace lift bar and dial gauge.
A sack of spuds in the driver's seat and a smaller pack in the footwell approximated my weight (no passenger in a hill climb car.)
He (Bob Watson Engineering) dialed the torsion bars to +/- 2 Kg across the axles when he did the first demon track set-up from the road spec previously used for one season.
The scales I so 'famously' did (autographs cost a bacon butty) were loadcell based with a repeatability/accuracy of 1:2000 which by today's standard is rather crude, but worked well then. The trick was making them portable and repeatable on various surfaces/temperatures.
Xtreme in Dudley did my corners when I had the evil AVO units fitted, but since then the car has not been cornered on the AST coil-overs, but the left/right swerves seem quite balanced to me.
Does depend on the suspension stiffness and the sensitivity of the driver (!) which leaves me at a disadvantage.....
Yes, might pop down with the car to you.

Graham.
Old 29 November 2005, 10:35 PM
BonzWRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by APIDavid
Bonz, We can do all that, to any spec you want. We've recently bought a corner weight machine which is essential for getting the balance of the car right. So now we can really get to grips with the suspension.

David APi Impreza / APi Engines
www.apiengines.com
I think you can expect a call in the next few days! Its nice to have a quality company recommended by people that actually spend their own hard earned at these places.
Mart.
Old 07 December 2005, 10:18 PM
BonzWRX
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Got the car back from APi yesterday, wow! The difference is amazing, and thats before they have even done the geometry! They didnt have time to do it, but told me to come back when the shocks and springs have settled, they will align and set it up, no charge! Top men and very friendly, they had time to chat to me and offer me advice for the future.
Cant recommend them enough
Old 08 December 2005, 09:25 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by BonzWRX
Got the car back from APi yesterday, wow! The difference is amazing, and thats before they have even done the geometry! They didnt have time to do it, but told me to come back when the shocks and springs have settled, they will align and set it up, no charge! Top men and very friendly, they had time to chat to me and offer me advice for the future.
Cant recommend them enough
Martin. Thanks for your comments

The car has been set up, just that we would like to see it again after a few weeks to check it after it has settled on its new springs and just double check the toe in and camber settiings. Our laser machine was down and we had to use old style tracking and camber equipment - nothing wrong with that but after a laser set up there can be no doubt.

Thanks for your business.

Kind regards David APi Impreza / APi Engines
www.apiengines.com