Notices

Rear Knocking

Search this Thread

Old 01 October 2005, 04:20 PM
Smatt
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Knocking

I have read on hear many times about the knocking/klunking noise that people have got at the back end of their STi's. The general concensus is that it is a fault. Well suprise, suprise I know have it. It sounds awful & does not inspire much confidence. Can somebody help me as to the fault & remedy. I intend to take it to my local dealer (Webbers in Basingstoke). Not being hard on them, but they are new to it & I would like to have an idea as to what it is. They can only gain experience by people using them. So they will either already know the problem or are about to learn.
Old 01 October 2005, 04:47 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

There is a fix m8 for new age cars, modified struts and top mounts are available from your dealer.

dipster
Old 01 October 2005, 05:32 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 03 STi PPP is booked in on November 2nd for exactly the same thing, took it down last Wednesday and they said it was best to have it for a couple of days to make sure they got it right etc. When i said this is quite common all the bloke behind the desk said was Errrrrr yeah we are seeing quite a few of them LOL
Old 01 October 2005, 11:51 PM
terryb
Scooby Regular

Does this happen at low speeds when coming to rest/ moving off??

If so then the strut is sticking inside the damper unit. Try lifting the rear of the car from the wheelarch and see if it sticks up or whether it returns to it's normal position.

You could be ok with just a replacement damper or 2.

Cheers

Terry
Old 02 October 2005, 10:50 AM
AndyMoody
Scooby Regular

Are WRX's affected too?
Old 02 October 2005, 01:33 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by terryb
Does this happen at low speeds when coming to rest/ moving off??

If so then the strut is sticking inside the damper unit. Try lifting the rear of the car from the wheelarch and see if it sticks up or whether it returns to it's normal position.

You could be ok with just a replacement damper or 2.

Cheers

Terry
Mine does it at low speeds and when taking left hand bends!! Dunno why that is but the noise seems to be more Nearside Rear so i guess it might be summn to do with that?
Old 02 October 2005, 03:53 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by AndyMoody
Are WRX's affected too?
No they are not.
Old 02 October 2005, 05:32 PM
Chris Barn
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davedipster
No they are not.

Yes they are.... just had my rear struts replaced on MY05 WRX after 10K miles.

Knocking was reallly bad with 3 in the car....Starting to sound like a ******* Thread!!!!!
Old 02 October 2005, 05:55 PM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

Ye Gods, I didn't know this was still going!!!! There have been zillions of posts over at least three years: mine (an 02MY STiUK) was one of the very first, and I thought that after the early '03s this had been sorted.

Now for the bad news: I've had at least 5 sets of damper/strut, including a submission of the vehicle to Subaru West Bromwich. And I still have the knock - and I believe there are a number of other uncurable cases 'out there'. I've given up, I'm afraid - I take it to be a design fault - "they all do that sir!" Disappointing - I love the car to bits otherwise!!

Phil Harrison
Old 02 October 2005, 06:21 PM
scarey
Scooby Regular

i have an 03 sti and so far not a single knock
Old 02 October 2005, 06:51 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Chris Barn
Yes they are.... just had my rear struts replaced on MY05 WRX after 10K miles.

Knocking was reallly bad with 3 in the car....Starting to sound like a ******* Thread!!!!!
You are very unlucky arent you, 05 wrx does indeed now have inverted struts.

dipster
Old 05 October 2005, 09:47 AM
Power Junkie
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Is there any way to fix them without replacing? I think my99 type R is doing this not when moving but after stopping then starting.
Old 05 October 2005, 10:03 AM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

My MY04 STI had the same problem and dealer has just fitted new shocks.

Seems to have cured the problem and the ride is a little more comfortable

Old 05 October 2005, 10:23 AM
homerjay
Scooby Regular

mine does it, but its VERY minimal, gonna get it checked out at next service anyway, before warranty runs out..
Old 05 October 2005, 10:38 AM
Chris Barn
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Phil Harrison
Ye Gods, I didn't know this was still going!!!! There have been zillions of posts over at least three years: mine (an 02MY STiUK) was one of the very first, and I thought that after the early '03s this had been sorted.

Now for the bad news: I've had at least 5 sets of damper/strut, including a submission of the vehicle to Subaru West Bromwich. And I still have the knock - and I believe there are a number of other uncurable cases 'out there'. I've given up, I'm afraid - I take it to be a design fault - "they all do that sir!" Disappointing - I love the car to bits otherwise!!

Phil Harrison
I remember you from when I had my 02 Sti, with exactly the same problem, I live and work near west Brom, so IM came out to look at my car also. Anyway I sold the car after 6months and bought a Merc, now gone back to a WRX 05, which I found out after I ordered the car has similar inverted struts to the Sti for the first time... and guess what 'Knocking'... ARRRGHHH its like Deja Vue all over gain... Time to order a EVO X me thinks!!!!!!
Old 05 October 2005, 05:12 PM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

Hi Chris,

Indeed I remember your case - also "Urban's" (you still there, Shaun??). Bit of a worry to hear WRXs are affected too - I'd been idly contemplating a PPP'd 5-dor as they run out.......

Cheers

Phil
Old 01 December 2006, 09:22 AM
Bendalyn
Scooby Newbie

My car has just come back from it's 50,000 service (at 45,000 mls) and the dealer have told me that AL FOUR dampers need replacing total cost - £1300. I spoke to Subaru customer service and they wouldn't commit to anyuthing but suggested that the dealer submits a goodwill claim on my behalf but suggested that the likelyhood of it coming back with anytghing was 'extemely unlikely'.

I only asked them to have a look cos there was a bit of knocking at low speed and some sticking when pulling away from rest.

Has anyone had a similar experience and what was the oucome?
Old 01 December 2006, 11:17 AM
scottish_jim
Scooby Regular

I had mine replaced under warranty and they only lasted 8 months. Subaru don't want to know and offer no help. I see my only option is to fit a set of coil-overs to the car as I have no confidence in the OEM dampers and nobody else does them for my car. Not happy
Old 01 December 2006, 12:18 PM
eckcosmk2
Scooby Newbie

The wife has a 03 sti and its clunking and sticking like described
you would think that subaru would try to do more to fix the problem
and i dont know if the new model is the same ,but if so how long before
they have the same problem.
Old 01 December 2006, 01:13 PM
Aquanaut
Scooby Regular

MY06 WRX with the rear nearside noise at low speeds. Rear shocks changed and no difference.

She goes in next week for a couple of days, hopefully for a cure this time.

Any special instructions/education/kicking that I should give the dealer to ensure this is fixed this time?
Old 01 December 2006, 02:13 PM
Rossco_
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Power Junkie
Is there any way to fix them without replacing? I think my99 type R is doing this not when moving but after stopping then starting.
My type R does this too mate, WUZ said that it was the rear strut top mount, which makes sense, he reckons about 40 notes for the part

Worth a go I reckon

Ross
Old 01 December 2006, 07:35 PM
COLZO
Scooby Regular

Had the knocking noise on my old 03 STI, got the strut replaced no bother. Now have a 05 STI which has a tapping noise sometimes at the N/S/R, now I know the noise is not like what I heard on my 03 STI but can`t help being worried that its happening again. I heard that it could be the motion sensor ball for the Tracker, anyone else heard this?
Old 01 December 2006, 08:28 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bendalyn
My car has just come back from it's 50,000 service (at 45,000 mls) and the dealer have told me that AL FOUR dampers need replacing total cost - £1300. I spoke to Subaru customer service and they wouldn't commit to anyuthing but suggested that the dealer submits a goodwill claim on my behalf but suggested that the likelyhood of it coming back with anytghing was 'extemely unlikely'.

I only asked them to have a look cos there was a bit of knocking at low speed and some sticking when pulling away from rest.

Has anyone had a similar experience and what was the oucome?
in the end my the noise coming from my rear stut pursuaded me to get the full T25 suspension set up with all trimming etc.

You get get the same for the price subaru are charging for 4 of the same problem struts!
Old 02 December 2006, 08:20 AM
Bendalyn
Scooby Newbie

i've already had the new top mounts fitted under warranty about a year ago and this noise has started since then. it's got really bad since the last service in April, not that i'm saying it's got anything to do with the service.

i don't hold up much hope then from what i hear - but thanks for your replies.
Old 02 December 2006, 09:32 AM
jue1994
Scooby Newbie

hi from a subaru dealer techy the fault lies with the strut tops the later cars have rubber strut tops when u look at the 17mm top nut you can see on faulty ones the rubbers has deformed towards centre nut.only stis and cars with uprated srings seem to be effected.ive changed bloody loads of them under warranty.classics have a different harder strut top
Old 02 December 2006, 06:57 PM
Multijfj
Scooby Regular

Are JDM version 8 STI's affected by this too?
Old 02 December 2006, 09:21 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Multijfj
Are JDM version 8 STI's affected by this too?
yes, mine is a 9. Only if you are getting clunking noises though!
Old 02 December 2006, 09:38 PM
Merv
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jue1994
hi from a subaru dealer techy the fault lies with the strut tops the later cars have rubber strut tops when u look at the 17mm top nut you can see on faulty ones the rubbers has deformed towards centre nut.only stis and cars with uprated srings seem to be effected.ive changed bloody loads of them under warranty.classics have a different harder strut top
Jue,is this something that you can supply or let us have the part number?

Merv
Old 03 December 2006, 10:09 PM
jakeob
Scooby Regular

i HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH AN 02 STI,,, KNOCKING AT LOW SPEEDS AND STICKING DAMPERS. i FOUND SUBARU DEALERS A WAIST OF TIME,, THEY TALKED ME INTO LETTING THEM FIT A MODOFIED SPACER FOR THE TOP MOUNTS,,, £200 DOWN THE GRID. IT STILL DID IT WHEN I DROVE AWAY FROM THE DEALERSHIP... iN THE END I HAD NEW STRUTS FITTED AT PROSPORT "PROBLEM SOLVED"
Old 04 December 2006, 10:49 AM
brettd
Scooby Newbie

I have a '96 legacy wagon, the dealer I bought it from says the air suspension has been removed and STI suspension was installed. The problem is when you corner hard or come to a stop it feels as the back settles back into position. Is this the same as the knocking?

Quick Reply: Rear Knocking