Notices

D2 Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 28 September 2005, 02:01 PM
PeteT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D2 Coilovers

Still mulling over suspension options for my MY00 Classic. Has anyone got D2 coilovers fitted? They do a 'street' setup but the spring rates seem to be way higher than anything else I've seen ie. 392/224 lbs The guy at the importers is helpful and says if I find the springs too hard they can swap them for softer ones FOC on an exchange basis.
What do you guys reckon? Worth a go or not?
Old 28 September 2005, 06:25 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

392/224 is unacceptable for our cars old or new age!
There is huge difference in proportional front to rear compared with every other coilover kit or complete suspension in the market or the factory setup.
IMO of course, choice is yours.
JIM
Old 05 October 2005, 04:09 PM
Adam B
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Andy916 has a set ... might be worth a pm

Last edited by Adam B; 05 October 2005 at 08:32 PM.
Old 17 November 2005, 10:05 AM
Andy916
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteT
Has anyone got D2 coilovers fitted?
Yup, I've had them for a couple of months on my daily driver '95 WRX which does the odd trackday and possibly sprints/hillclimbs next summer.

Kenny the bloke at Impulse is indeed v.helpful.

As you say 7/4kg/mm (70/40N/m, 395/225lb/in) is the listed spring rate front/rear, which I didn't even try. I went for 6/4 instead, as a starting point, which is not far off the original Leda 'B' rates, and a recommended combination for track-biased use in some quarters. Am finding this good on A-roads, not compliant enough for B-roads, and superb at Bruntingthorpe last Saturday . No surprises so far then, in the general context of coilover suspension.

As soon as the new spring arrives with Kenny I'm going to try 5/4, which I think may be pretty good allround. That's roughly the same as Leda's current 'bumpy roads' recommendation, and the same as some people run on ASTs (although 4/3 is more common with the latter). Am curious to try 4/4, maybe even 4/3, depending on the results I get with 5/4. Am aware that damper revalving would likely be required as some point along that route (tools not yet available in this country to revalve D2s).

Right now I'd recommend them for track-use, but I'll have to pop back in a month or two to tell you what I think about them for allround road-use.

Andy
Old 28 August 2007, 11:34 AM
jpiddin1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy916
Yup, I've had them for a couple of months on my daily driver '95 WRX which does the odd trackday and possibly sprints/hillclimbs next summer.

Kenny the bloke at Impulse is indeed v.helpful.

As you say 7/4kg/mm (70/40N/m, 395/225lb/in) is the listed spring rate front/rear, which I didn't even try. I went for 6/4 instead, as a starting point, which is not far off the original Leda 'B' rates, and a recommended combination for track-biased use in some quarters. Am finding this good on A-roads, not compliant enough for B-roads, and superb at Bruntingthorpe last Saturday . No surprises so far then, in the general context of coilover suspension.

As soon as the new spring arrives with Kenny I'm going to try 5/4, which I think may be pretty good allround. That's roughly the same as Leda's current 'bumpy roads' recommendation, and the same as some people run on ASTs (although 4/3 is more common with the latter). Am curious to try 4/4, maybe even 4/3, depending on the results I get with 5/4. Am aware that damper revalving would likely be required as some point along that route (tools not yet available in this country to revalve D2s).

Right now I'd recommend them for track-use, but I'll have to pop back in a month or two to tell you what I think about them for allround road-use.

Andy
Andy, I see your post is now a couple of years old. Can you give us an update on the D2's?

Durability? Any leaks?
Ride & handling?
B-roads?
Best spring rates to use?
General smile factor?

Cheers,

James.
Old 19 March 2008, 11:27 PM
darranc
Scooby Newbie

i have been looking at these for my clasic STi wagon .. did the above questions get answered ?
Old 20 March 2008, 10:48 AM
Andy916
Scooby Regular

Since switched to a newer road/track scoob but chose not to transfer the D2's over.

Durability? Any leaks? - one, which the guys at Sittingbourne sorted out under warranty. Design fault with very early units, and they upgraded both front struts to revised design.

Ride & handling? - 6/4 springs too hard, 5/4 good compromise for track and a-road.

B-roads? - oversprung and underdamped (not enough rebound), not the best.

Best spring rates to use? - difficult one. 4/3 might be worth trying, but basically a 180-210mm coilover spring doesn't have the travel to deal with potholes.

General smile factor? - good for the money, it handled really well on track and a-roads. Now using Apexes from Bren. For a pure road car I'd avoid coilovers completely though.
Old 20 March 2008, 10:55 AM
darranc
Scooby Newbie

what would you recommend ?
i wrote an essay last night in the Apex group buy thread so you can see my problem if you look at that thread .. basically the passenger side has chewed up the tyre on right hand bends so i need something new.
i have been quoted 80 quid each so witjh delivery thats 200 quid just for the shockers for the rear...

cheers
Old 21 March 2008, 09:55 AM
Andy916
Scooby Regular

Roll the rear arches, especially if the offset of those 18's makes them sit further out. Shocks may or may not be knackered.
Old 21 March 2008, 12:33 PM
Andy916
Scooby Regular

Get the arch roller to pull the arches a bit too, if wheel offset sticks out too far.
Old 21 March 2008, 06:19 PM
darranc
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Andy916
Get the arch roller to pull the arches a bit too, if wheel offset sticks out too far.
i think you are correct, i went to see the mechanic this morning and he said the shocks seem OK .. so i have booked the wheel arch guy to pull them out.
once he has done it i can get some slightly lowered springs

Cheers
Old 21 March 2008, 10:23 PM
CDF Racing
Former Sponsor

There currently isn't any company bringing d2 racing products into the U.k as impulse performance have had there dealership removed , so you mind find it hard actually getting d2 coilovers chris