Notices

Decent Allignment place in Cambs/Essex? Also Prodrive Susp Package

Search this Thread

Old 21 September 2005, 09:07 PM
keen dean
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decent Allignment place in Cambs/Essex? Also Prodrive Susp Package

I have the Prodive upgraded handling package on my 00 Turbo, is it best for everyday driving to just go for the standard allignment settings?

I also need a decent place to set the allignment for me, I work in Cambs and live in Essex near the Suffolk border so I'm flexible to travel for a decent job.
I looked into Powerstation but it's nearly a 270 roundtrip, now if only scoobs were economical.
Old 22 September 2005, 12:05 PM
SlowBoy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Powerstation are the daddies. Worth the trip since you dont need to revisit for a while once set up.
Old 22 September 2005, 01:40 PM
keeno
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SlowBoy
Powerstation are the daddies. Worth the trip since you dont need to revisit for a while once set up.

There must someone closer which won't cost me £50 worth of optimax
Old 22 September 2005, 02:51 PM
King Eric
Scooby Regular

£50.00 of optimax will save you £££££ in tyres in the long run
Old 22 September 2005, 11:35 PM
SlowBoy
Scooby Regular

Mate had his done locally. Ended up going to PS a month or two later and wished he'd have gone there in the 1st place. Ended up spending more money by getting the job done twice, instead of going straight to PS in the 1st place.
Old 22 September 2005, 11:48 PM
7 Foot
Scooby Regular

Got to agree with Slowboy.

I drive from Bucks to get mine done and it really is worth it.
Old 22 September 2005, 11:50 PM
7 Foot
Scooby Regular

Could get the bumpsteer mod done too.

Trending Topics

Old 23 September 2005, 11:39 AM
Mo
Scooby Regular

Location: the fastest rentals in town......0-100mph in 10 seconds

Why the need for somewhere over 100 miles away?

Now I am in no way saying that PS aren't good at setting up a cars geometry but if you know what behaviour you want from the car you can dig around for previous posts from someone with a similar set-up (it's been done so may times now) for a set-up that may suit you. Take those settings to 'any' facility with the correct 4 wheel alignment tools and providing that they set the car up to those settings the outcome will be the same, a well set-up car only with a full tank of gas

The legendary bump steer mod, you could try dropping that rack with some 4mm washers and see how it feels................

For a standard car a good starting point may be to get as much equal negative camber on the front and repeat the process for the rear with a little toe in both front and rear to keep things stable.
On an unmodified car this will not cause any uneven tyre wear, it may even save the outside edges of you tyres.
Old 23 September 2005, 01:16 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by keen dean
I have the Prodive upgraded handling package on my 00 Turbo, is it best for everyday driving to just go for the standard allignment settings?

I also need a decent place to set the allignment for me, I work in Cambs and live in Essex near the Suffolk border so I'm flexible to travel for a decent job.
I looked into Powerstation but it's nearly a 270 roundtrip, now if only scoobs were economical.
Don't Elite Tyres in Essex do Lazer Geometry set ups? They know various settings including the Prodrive ones IIRC. Do a search for them.

NS04
Old 23 September 2005, 02:41 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

The thing is do the other places know exactly how to do the bumpsteer mod and how to test it? Do the other places know how to correct 1 degree under-reading of castor on one wheel? I know Powerstation do.....
Old 23 September 2005, 03:26 PM
Mo
Scooby Regular

For the majority of drivers and the usage of their standard vehicles on this board testing of the bumpsteer mod on a classic isn't really an issue, it's pretty safe to say that 4mm washers are a good starting point. Ask around and see what size has been fitted to those with this mod in place. It's a pretty simple task than can be completed at home for next to no outlay.

Back to the 4 wheel set-up, if someone with the correct kit doesn't know how to adjust the camber or toe they shouldn't be offering that level of service and besides if you wanted to know where your money was going you'd ask to see the display whilst it's being set-up - that way you know you are getting exactly what you requested.

If you wanted to adjust the castor angle, which is always a good thing, you'd need either an adjustable top mount such as those that are produced by Noltec or the anti lift kit produced by Whiteline.

Again I'm not in any way knocking what PS do, if I was close I'd use them but as a lot of people aren't I don't see the need to travel the distances people do.
Old 23 September 2005, 04:26 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mo
For the majority of drivers and the usage of their standard vehicles on this board testing of the bumpsteer mod on a classic isn't really an issue, it's pretty safe to say that 4mm washers are a good starting point. Ask around and see what size has been fitted to those with this mod in place. It's a pretty simple task than can be completed at home for next to no outlay.

Back to the 4 wheel set-up, if someone with the correct kit doesn't know how to adjust the camber or toe they shouldn't be offering that level of service and besides if you wanted to know where your money was going you'd ask to see the display whilst it's being set-up - that way you know you are getting exactly what you requested.

If you wanted to adjust the castor angle, which is always a good thing, you'd need either an adjustable top mount such as those that are produced by Noltec or the anti lift kit produced by Whiteline.

Again I'm not in any way knocking what PS do, if I was close I'd use them but as a lot of people aren't I don't see the need to travel the distances people do.
Im afraid you show a misunderstanding of whats involved - bung in a 4mm washer that'll do? Please! Top mount kit for additional castor, yes, but you can also do it other ways. Thats why you go to experts with proper measuring equipment and race experience
Old 23 September 2005, 04:41 PM
Mr_Wid
Scooby Regular

www.alignmycar.co.uk go to wheel alignment and then centre locator. Just stay clear of kwik fit if they come up!

If you live in essex then personally i'd to elite, and there equiptment is a bit more advanced than a laser tracker. lol

If you want info on the equiptment they use or about wheel alignments in general, go to www.pro-align.co.uk , i work for them

Last edited by Mr_Wid; 23 September 2005 at 04:45 PM.
Old 23 September 2005, 05:02 PM
Mo
Scooby Regular

Question

I quite obviously do not understand what's involved

As stated by Mr Wid, Elite do have the right equipment and do know how to use it. They're also very open in letting you through to view exactly what is happening, Barry's the man to speak to.

Warren, how else can you adjust the caster angle on an Impreza?
Old 23 September 2005, 05:47 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mo

You can shim the lower suspension arm - although the amount you can get is limited - for bigger amounts you would need the top mounts
Old 24 September 2005, 10:33 AM
pappasmurf
Scooby Regular

I live on the cambridgeshire/Suffolk border and went to Roger Clark Motorsport in Desford, Leicestershire. About a one and a half hour drive.
Very pleased.

Wherever you go, make sure it's one of the more reputable companies.
Old 24 September 2005, 11:16 AM
scoobynut555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mo

As stated by Mr Wid, Elite do have the right equipment and do know how to use it. They're also very open in letting you through to view exactly what is happening, Barry's the man to speak to.

There was a scoob day at elite when they were doing loads of alignments etc...

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...ighlight=elite

Top job done and very decent guys
Old 01 October 2005, 12:08 AM
keen dean
Scooby Regular

I'm going to Elite once I get some money togther I've heard good reviews. and seemed very helpful on the phone.