Notices

WRX03 Prodrive Springs - Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 28 August 2005, 11:21 PM
fastfrank
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WRX03 Prodrive Springs - Advice?

Hello Everyone,

I'm looking to develop the car a bit more than standard and feel the best place to start is in the handling department. I'm feeling it's a little bit wallowee at high speed cornering and really just want to make it feel more planted.

Can anyone tell me what there experiences are by fitted these springs to their WRXs (not Sti)?

How much do they cost including fittment to the car?

Does the tracking need to be reconfigured once these are fitted?

Thanks
Frank
Old 29 August 2005, 10:13 AM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

I had Eibachs fitted to my MY03 WRX and of the thousands i have spent, this is one of the best mods i had done. Completely changes the cars handling and 'sit' on the road. I also had powerflex bushes and a front strut fitted at same time, so i had my allignment checked and altered whilst i was there as part of the job.
If you do a search on here there are loads of threads about the Prodrive vs the Eibachs, and more info.
Old 29 August 2005, 10:27 AM
fastfrank
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MaDaSS
I had Eibachs fitted to my MY03 WRX and of the thousands i have spent, this is one of the best mods i had done. Completely changes the cars handling and 'sit' on the road. I also had powerflex bushes and a front strut fitted at same time, so i had my allignment checked and altered whilst i was there as part of the job.
If you do a search on here there are loads of threads about the Prodrive vs the Eibachs, and more info.
yeah, i've read about the Eibachs but gathered the opinion that a few folks had problems so discounted them. Why did you go for them ? - cheaper or more performance?
Old 29 August 2005, 01:20 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

They are cheaper, but i took my advice from someone who had driven both, and basically said for the difference (which i would not notice, if there is one) it aint worth paying Prodrive prices for the same spring. Eibach make em both, but Prodrive have thier own spec's and you get new bump stops with prodrive springs and **** all with Eibachs. LOL. So i went with Eibachs. For how i drive i am never going to tell the difference so the extra money aint worth it. Again, Subaru prices are wnak.
Old 29 August 2005, 11:49 PM
GREGGYG
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by fastfrank
Hello Everyone,

I'm looking to develop the car a bit more than standard and feel the best place to start is in the handling department. I'm feeling it's a little bit wallowee at high speed cornering and really just want to make it feel more planted.

Can anyone tell me what there experiences are by fitted these springs to their WRXs (not Sti)?

How much do they cost including fittment to the car?

Does the tracking need to be reconfigured once these are fitted?

Thanks
Frank
Hi Frank,
Prodrive springs are excellent, although springs alone will not make the WRX car wallow less. You need essentially 2 items. Start with 'rear alloy drop links' to replace the ones on your car, and if you want further improvement, then I would suggest a 'non-adjustable 24mm Whiteline rear anti roll bar', which is around £75 plus fitting. The drop links are inexpensive also. Also fit the springs which are very necessary on any WRX 01 onwards! Then finally, get a proper geometry set up, then enjoy wallow free, 'feel lots more safer round corners' driving!
Old 10 September 2005, 08:59 AM
tatty
Scooby Regular

prodrive is the way to go!! If it's good enough for the P1 it's good enough for a wrx.
I ended up putting sti8 dampers and prodrive springs also for an sti8 on my 52 wrx and can say without a doubt that for the £325 second hand is the best way to go. I still have a set of standared sti8 springs if your interested?
Martin

martintait980@hotmail.com
Old 10 September 2005, 10:52 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

First, WRX Prodrive springs do not include new bump stops.
Second, they lower the car less than Eibachs.
Third (AFAIK) Prodrive change height ratio front to rear while Eibachs lower the same both ends.
Forth is your choice, I haven't ever heard of one went wrong with each brand but bear in mind WRX needs first shocks rather springs IMHO as 1.6 Impreza shares the same springs with WRX!
Old 10 September 2005, 11:48 PM
speednut
Scooby Newbie

I know you asked about WRX not STI fitment but nevermind. I have the prodrive springs and I'm convinced that they are not sitting in the cups properly. Apart from the strange noises coming from the rear and the car not resting level it doesn't seem to cause a problem. The springs are shorter than the oem ones and leave the car 20-30mm lower, (30 imo). This seems to be a common problem. It's enough to make me change to HPS coilvers shortly. If I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't buy them again.
Old 11 September 2005, 11:15 AM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JIM THEO
First, WRX Prodrive springs do not include new bump stops.
I stand corrected

Second, they lower the car less than Eibachs.
Third (AFAIK) Prodrive change height ratio front to rear while Eibachs lower the same both ends.
Why would they have different height ratio when Eibach make them all anyway?
They make both Prodrive ones too. Hmm, dont get that.

Forth is your choice, I haven't ever heard of one went wrong with each brand but bear in mind WRX needs first shocks rather springs IMHO as 1.6 Impreza shares the same springs with WRX!
Agreed. You will read loads on here and still have to make your choice!
Not sure about shocks though, all the springs are made for factory shocks, but i would like to drive another to compare. I have one time thought along those lines myself in the past. Sometimes it just does not feel right, as though it is not damping right. Dunno, hard to explain, more a feeling. LOL.
Or knowing me, just my head like normal.
Old 11 September 2005, 03:02 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

Why would they have different height ratio when Eibach make them all anyway?
They make both Prodrive ones too. Hmm, dont get that.
Brembo manufactures the STI brakes, what makes you believe these brakes should be the same with say Brembo Grand turismo kit for STI?
Old 11 September 2005, 03:12 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JIM THEO
Brembo manufactures the STI brakes, what makes you believe these brakes should be the same with say Brembo Grand turismo kit for STI?
S'all to do with spec's innit. Why the different height ratios anyway?
Whats the idea behind that? Is is a really noticable change?
Old 11 September 2005, 06:06 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

AFAIK changes to roll center (noise down) help reducing understeer.
Compare a Prodrive springs fitted car with a normal and you'll see it.
Old 12 September 2005, 08:02 AM
ru'
Scooby Regular

I can't comment on an 03 wrx, but the Prodrive springs for the 05 wrx include bump stops.
Old 12 September 2005, 09:59 AM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

WRX05 has inverted struts and reduced suspension travel compared to previous WRX's thus the new bump stops!
Old 15 September 2005, 11:03 PM
R22helipilot
Scooby Newbie

I have my 03 WRX booked into powerstation on Monday for Eibach springs and four wheel alignment. Will let you know the results.
I have heard that stiffer springs reduce the life of the shocks by alot, anyone got any views on this?
Old 16 September 2005, 06:13 PM
GE90
Scooby Regular

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=442912

Several reviews here, including mine - 2003 WRX.
Old 20 September 2005, 02:29 PM
oobster
Scooby Regular

Got the prodrive springs fitted to my 03-plate WRX about 2 weeks ago. Cost me just under £390 from the main Subaru dealer locally (S&S).

Car seems stiffer but it hasn't changed the comfort factor noticeably. It does, as mentioned above, drop the front of the car more than the back but i quite like the look. I've read other posts saying it can take 3 or more weeks to settle fully but i'd guess the drop is around 20mm.

Hope this helps
Old 20 September 2005, 08:39 PM
R22helipilot
Scooby Newbie

Got the springs fitted along with four wheel alignment. The Left front camber was 2.16 degrees out. This is not uncommon.
Car now feels more planted on the road. No noticable lack of comfort. Car looks better although it still looks slightly higher at the front, rear looks cool though. Best thing is there is no more understeer.
Have'nt had chance to realy push it on my favourite road yet, try and avoid the hedges this time.
Total cost at Powerstation was £430.