Notices

2005 STi Strut Brace Experience…..

Search this Thread

Old 30 July 2005, 12:08 PM
mid_life_crisis
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 STi Strut Brace Experience…..

I’ll stress what I’m going to say only relates to a 2005 STi, and possibly only to my exact configuration…

Car: 2005 STi with Prodrive springs, OZ Superleggera 18 x 8”, Marangoni Zeta Linea 225/40/18 92W.

Brace: Looked at several on the net, some look unlikely to have much effect since the ends look to be not much more than bent tin. I can’t personally see a strut brace working if it has any amount of give in it, or at least the effect must reduce due to the flexing. I settled on Scooby Worlds carbon fibre version since it looked well designed.

Fitting: No problem, nicely made and fits like a glove. I fitted it with the car on level ground and without any pre-tension. Once fitted the brace is extremely solid and looks a treat.

Driving: Set off on my normal “test track”, we have nothing but fast bumpy bendy roads round here which could have been designed for Scooby’s.

First impression: Straight line down a slightly bumpy road. Car is noticeably firmer riding, tighter and tauter.

Second impression: Fairly fast bendy bits. Turn in is dramatically improved, steering feels faster and more positive. What little roll there was seems decreased, or at least it feels different, as if the suspension is now loading the tyres more.

Third impression: Hell, this is a whole new car, really so much nicer in every way. Steering is so much improved with faster turn in, fast direction switching for S bends is bizarrely better. It now feels like its loading the suspension and using the tyres to greater effect.

Fourth impression: Really nasty right hand corner, up hill and reverse cambered with two good sized bumps mid corner. Causes most cars to feel well out of shape even at moderately low speeds, has the effect of tricking the suspension in a way that normally feels quite unsafe. Whole different feel, the suspension does its job far better and the car is much more composed as a result.

Right, now we have to admit probably 50% of this is the placebo effect: “Spent money, can’t be wrong, must be better”. It’s human nature to exaggerate the good and the bad bits, especially when money changed hands. All I can say is the allegedly stiff 2005 chassis can still benefit from a good strut brace, at least it can for me

Last edited by mid_life_crisis; 30 July 2005 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Added Picture
Old 31 July 2005, 07:29 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

same for me on 2003 sti-surely it cannot be all placebo?
martin
Old 31 July 2005, 07:49 PM
mid_life_crisis
Scooby Regular

I don't think so Martin, I'm telling it like it is on my car, but covering myself for those who do not agree.
Old 01 August 2005, 02:58 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remember fitting a Cusco brace on my 99my and felt no real effect at all! so I have not considered one on my present 03 STi as it is supposed to be a stiffer chassis anyway. Mmm - gets one thinking!
JohnD
Old 01 August 2005, 04:39 PM
mid_life_crisis
Scooby Regular

JohnD I was almost sure it would have little or no effect, I was very wrong. I'd say make sure it's a good brace and go for it!
Old 01 August 2005, 08:17 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

new age chassis is 150% stiffer than classic so brace should not make much difference front does but rear does not make much difference at all when i put that on after
martin
Old 01 August 2005, 11:33 PM
mid_life_crisis
Scooby Regular

Interesting, I was wondering about fitting a rear as well but assumed it would not have any major effect.

Originally Posted by p1doc
new age chassis is 150% stiffer than classic so brace should not make much difference front does but rear does not make much difference at all when i put that on after
martin