Notices

NOISEY REAR COILOVERS

Search this Thread

Old 04 April 2005, 09:52 PM
fuji
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NOISEY REAR COILOVERS

Found this quote on the net, would anyone like to comment on the validity of the statement, has anyone first hand experience if so how did you resolve?

"Coilover suspension, when fitted to an Impreza, is almost always noisy at the rear. This is due to the excentric loads transmitted by the offset mounting point on an Impreza hub.

These loads cause lateral movement in the damper this results in the damper body to hitting the spring. The noise is most pronounced at slow speed and is very annoying"
Old 05 April 2005, 12:20 AM
scooby191
Scooby Regular

i have a set of cusco coilovers on mine first they were creaking then a couple of bangs and now nothing think they just need to settle in mine are really hard like passengers bouncing around in the back hard lol
Old 05 April 2005, 12:34 PM
moo
Scooby Regular

I've got a set of Jic Magic coilovers on mine and they are also very firm. Occasionally get the odd banging noise if you fly over a mini roundabout..

I think the noise is due to the fact that it has a solid upper mount rather than the usual rubber you get with standard struts and it is located in the car just behind the back seats. Probarbly the only reason you dont hear the occasional bang from solid front mounts is because of the engine noise and front bulkhead.
Old 09 April 2005, 07:38 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

ive got avos on mine and they have just been re furbed. i get this knocking noise at slow speeds over bumps which is annoying but i get used to it . just the way they are i think.
Old 10 April 2005, 09:43 PM
swaussie
Scooby Regular

I have a set of Tein coilovers on a bugeye and they tend to knock a lot until they are warm when they do quieten down a bit. I did read somewhere that Subaru are claimed to have changed the mount point for the rear suspension in the last few models to try to fix this problem. I cant validate if this is actually true but it does seem common.
Old 12 April 2005, 12:28 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

I have Tein type HA, and yes they do knock at the rear but nothing I cant live with.

Bob