Notices

About differentials

Search this Thread

Old 31 March 2005, 06:26 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About differentials

Well, I am going to fit an STI Helical front LSD in my WRX03 same with what new Spec C has from the factory!
Currently my car has Suretrac (R160) rear differential, stock (4kgf-m/100rpm) viscous center with Spec C shocks-Prodrive springs plus Whiteline rear adjustable anti-roll bar and little bit aggressive alignment settings!
Its main purpose is every day driving with some spirited use on mountain roads but I always prefer STI’s behavior especially at corner exits where my car even with the Suretrac unit has some delay and need more steering input due to lack of front LSD.
I always prefer oversteering behavior so I wonder does the helical increase front grip markedly thus increase torque split to the front which means more understeer?
As far as I know front helical is used in previous generations STI but with plated rear (new age Spec C uses this setup), do I need a more responsive rear differential than the Suretrac to mate with the helical?
According to manufacturer compared to the Suretrac the Helical LSD is more progressive and is “said” work a little better.
JIM