Notices

Clunking noise with new eibach springs???

Search this Thread

Old 26 January 2005, 11:17 AM
petesmith
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunking noise with new eibach springs???

Hi, i fitted some eibach lowering springs to my classic turbo my00 at the weekend, but there is now a clunking sound at times on a bumpy service. When i turn left there is also a small knocking noise sometimes to. I jacked one side up and the suspension feels firm, but when i jacked the whole front end of the car up at once and turned the wheels to full left lock there was a clunk and the same when turned to full right lock the same happens. When the car is sitting on the wheels and you push the front end down evrything feels fir and no noise. Just wondering if anyone has any idea if there is something wrong or is this normal.

One more thing is that there is anoying squeek inside the car now due to the harder ride which i have not managed to locate yet.

cheers
Pete
Old 26 January 2005, 12:56 PM
jtabraham
Scooby Regular

Hi
The noise you are hearing is the spring moving, the spring is not located correctly.If the topmount is not lined up as it was, the spring sits loose, also when you turn the springs upper mount rubs against the inner arch.
You need to realign the spring seats.
Did you markup the spring seats when you took the existing springs off?
Hope this helps
Jt

PS: You need to have your geometry done as youve had the struts off.
Old 26 January 2005, 05:26 PM
petesmith
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hi, the top mount rubber was placed back on correctly, there was an indent where the end of the spring fitted into the rubber top mount. It may be possible i guess that while putting the assembly back into the car the springs have moved and are not located correctly now. As for the geometry setup i am letting the springs settle in for a week or so (when i have had them out again to check the mounts).

Cheers for the response
Pete

Originally Posted by jtabraham
Hi
The noise you are hearing is the spring moving, the spring is not located correctly.If the topmount is not lined up as it was, the spring sits loose, also when you turn the springs upper mount rubs against the inner arch.
You need to realign the spring seats.
Did you markup the spring seats when you took the existing springs off?
Hope this helps
Jt

PS: You need to have your geometry done as youve had the struts off.
Old 26 January 2005, 05:41 PM
BrynO
Scooby Regular

On my new age they knock (not a clunk though) when you drop off speed bumps, its damm annoying, believe it is the springs moving on the seat, on the fronts as there is no plastic sleeve (there is on the backs), you get metal to metal contact, this may be what you are hearing? if so you can get some plastic sleeving to slide over the spring, I believe that Eibach are now considering plastic coating the springs in future, IanUK300 who posts on here had I believe, their prototype coated set fitted the other week.
Sure Ian will be along in a mo with some info..
Old 26 January 2005, 08:19 PM
petesmith
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BrynO
On my new age they knock (not a clunk though) when you drop off speed bumps, its damm annoying, believe it is the springs moving on the seat, on the fronts as there is no plastic sleeve (there is on the backs), you get metal to metal contact, this may be what you are hearing? if so you can get some plastic sleeving to slide over the spring, I believe that Eibach are now considering plastic coating the springs in future, IanUK300 who posts on here had I believe, their prototype coated set fitted the other week.
Sure Ian will be along in a mo with some info..
Cheers for the response. I brought the Eibach springs as evryone seemed to recomend them as the best and i did not find any bad points mentioned about them, may have been the wrong choice now i guess.

Cheers
Pete
Old 26 January 2005, 09:45 PM
BrynO
Scooby Regular

Pete TBH If I knew about the noise i would get from the springs and how harsh they would be over speed bumps (there are hundreds where I live), I would not have fitted Eibachs and maybe had a look at the Prodrives instead, not sure that they would be any better though! I went for Eibachs based on what I read on the forums and also experience I had with them on the wifes car, which I have to say has none of these niggles and rides as good as it did on the OE springs, ho hum!
Old 26 January 2005, 11:09 PM
7 Foot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I certainly wouldn't say Eibachs are harsh. They're a progressive spring after all.

Mine used to knock and it drove me spare. Fitting the plastic sleeves sorted it out though. You can fit them just by jacking up the car - don't even have to take wheels off.

Don't start thinking you have made a bad choice, you can probably fix this little niggle for free and in 5 minutes.
Old 26 January 2005, 11:13 PM
Scoobydrive
Scooby Regular

I would have to agree with jtabraham as this happened to me also and I know exactly what clunking sound you are on about. The spring was not sitting correctly with the top mount. I was told by a Subaru mechanic that in his opinion there is not an aftermarket spring out there that fits perfectly on the classic model.
I am back to my original sti set up and all is fine.
Old 27 January 2005, 01:22 PM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

Had my eibachs done at the clinic... and they rattle over bumps and holds.. wouldn't say its a knock.. i bot annoying though1

as for the springs... stunning... the car feels so much more planted and the ride is far and i mean far better then standard, it now rides over bumps and is much softer than before, until you bang it into a corner hard and then its much firmer... exactly what i wanted... best upgrade i've done...

STi MY03 btw

dazza
PS its aslo got a new ARB but thats not why the ride is better!
Old 27 January 2005, 07:20 PM
petesmith
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the response. Looks like saturday will be spent messing with the suspension again!

Cheers
Pete
Old 27 January 2005, 10:54 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

The rear top mounts are eccentric (unlike the fronts) so have to be lined up perfectly. If not the spring twists ever so slightly and knocks about. I'd take the strut off and look down the shaft from the top. The top mount should line up perfectly with the actual strut springs seat. It's tricky to get it just right and took a couple of goes.

Tony.
Old 29 January 2005, 10:48 PM
Nexuas
Scooby Regular

My Eibachs seam to twist a little, only by about 1/2", but I can move them round by hand while the car is on the ground, and because of this I get a metalic "twang" when going from one lock to the other at slow speed, generally noticed when in supermarket car parks. Is this a problem? I was told by a subaru mechanic that this was happening as I have aftermarket springs and there is nothing that can be done, but it will be causing no damage???
Old 30 January 2005, 08:15 PM
petesmith
Scooby Regular

Have compressed the spring and reseated the rubber mount at the top while the unit was still installed. The knocking has gone for now, so hopefully this has ficked it for good. Fingers crossed there will be no more trouble!
Old 30 January 2005, 08:39 PM
a18 ryk
Scooby Regular

got these springs on my sti mine sounds like a clicking when u back of throtle and bangs like **** on bumps but when it goes flat SLOW PUNCTURE the noise stops but bangs like hell till i pump it up then its back least i know what it mite be but had car 6 months and no noise just started when i had new engine fitted and it comes and goes when it wants to its at the back so engine theory is out of window
Originally Posted by petesmith
Have compressed the spring and reseated the rubber mount at the top while the unit was still installed. The knocking has gone for now, so hopefully this has ficked it for good. Fingers crossed there will be no more trouble!