Notices

My first post, I've got trouble with air shocks on a 93 Legacy

Search this Thread

Old 17 December 2004, 06:34 PM
hothack
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question My first post, I've got trouble with air shocks on a 93 Legacy

Hello everyone, I could do with some advice.

Bought the car three months ago. Two owner clean 'K' reg Legacy 2.2 - Decent service history and it has been well looked after.

I change car every year, and I've always wanted a Subaru so this is my first. Everything has been fine with the car, though I had noticed that if I left it undriven for a few days the suspension would lose pressure and the car would list to one side until restarted.

As time has passed, the car is losing air pressure faster and faster. In 12 hours, the entire rear suspension will collapse, first the passenger side and then it will right itself as the driver side deflates.

Oddly enough the previous owner had had the front air shocks replaced at some stage and I'm a bit miffed to have another problem, especially as I think it might be an expensive one to sort out.

At the moment, I think I've these options:

Sell the car for peanuts with the problem. It's only a 1k car, I don't want to lose money, but it won't hurt much.

Live with it while I identify someone who can fix these things for a reasonable price. I don't really want to burn out the compressor, or endanger anyone, but at the moment the car works fine once it has pumped back up. It is getting worse though.

Go to a main dealer. I'm reluctant to do this, there is no point spending more repairing the car than a portion of its value. There's also a chance it might be a leaky seal or something that can be sorted out cheaply, but I while I know where a couple of dealer are, I don't know how honest they are or even the potential costs involved.

I'm really stuck here, I live in West London near Hampton Court and the M3 - Nearest dealer is in Isleworth. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Pete
Old 17 December 2004, 07:16 PM
DuncanG
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another option: put in conventional coils and struts. You should be able to get suitable parts from a breaker.