Notices

Which whiteline roll bars to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 17 December 2004, 10:23 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Which whiteline roll bars to buy?

Want to get front and rear ARB links and possibly ALK. However I don't know which bars to get.

Car is only for road driving and may see a track next year but is by no means going to be a regular track car. I was thinking the 22m adj bar for the rear but do I need an adjustable one if I'm mostly road driving?

Thanks in advance
Old 17 December 2004, 01:23 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No **** Sherlock moment - adjustable one gives you adjustability / flexibility

I've got the Whiteline adjustable rear ARB and Powerflex droplinks . The ARB is set on middle position and it gives me the option to go either way - softer or harder but I've got used to this centre position. The roads round here are like the Somme so no point having ultra-stiffness as it would be less composed over the rough bits Also, a stiffer rear (relative to the front) can make the car easier to oversteer whether you want it (playing mode ) or not . The middle position is generally "safe" for "normal" speeds but you can get the back end lighter if you start overcooking things - the stiffer setting would mean it takes less provocation to get it lighter - how well do you think you can drive and do you prefer "safer" understeer or more tail-happy / oversteer handling?

I haven't got an uprated front ARB but from what I can gather, it's a way of
a) counteracting the rear being stiffened, and
b) seeing how good a driver you are - if all the car is stiffened then it is less forgiving and is easier to break away in a "situation" - eg good for smooth driving style track work but once it's letting go you better be ready for it...

Personally I wouldn't have thought a front ARB was necessary for ordinary road use...

I followed a bloke in a standard bugeye down some rough twisties and apart from not knowing the road like he did, I was backing off a fraction due the my Prodrive springs, ARB and droplinks making the car a bit more on the edge than I felt comfortable with in those conditions. At the end he commented on how flat mine looked when it cornered but I prefered to stay on the black stuff rather than through the hedge

Can't comment on ALKs as I haven't got one...

The improvements are good compared to standard but take a bit of time to know your and the car's limits...

HTH

Andy

Last edited by Apple; 17 December 2004 at 03:13 PM.
Old 17 December 2004, 05:01 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO fit Front and rear 22mm Whiteline bars, rear on middle hole with solid droplinks (if you like), have the alignment set by someone who knows (ie TSL/Powerstation), and make sure you have the best tyres you can buy.
You WILL enjoy the car so much more.
If you go for the alignment you should have the ALK fitted to save money later on.
Old 18 December 2004, 10:03 PM
mark_my96
Scooby Regular

i'll let you know, i'm having 22mm Rear ARB and ALK fitted next tuesday. let yo know
Old 19 December 2004, 10:58 AM
seanks
Scooby Regular

I did my ARB (rear) and F&R droplinks....

ARB

ALK probably next
Old 22 December 2004, 08:11 AM
mark_my96
Scooby Regular

This is part two of my upgrade, 1st was eibach's and Koni strut inserts
came to work this morning with Middle setting rear ARB, Whiteline rear drop links and Front ALK.
First impressions, even with wet roads, corners now with surefootednes, pound for pound a bet buy than the springs and shocks.Looking forward to some dry roads.

on the original thread ARB set to middle link adjustable costs the same as non adjust.

Labour costs-Local garage fitted ARB , ALK and oil change , and swapped for new plugs Cost £75 - can't be bad.
Old 25 December 2004, 01:33 PM
shepster
Scooby Regular

ive got Whiteline 22mm front and rear anitroll bars the rear being adjustable and on the middle hole. Powerflex alloy drop links with eibach springs. the combination of all the above transform the car no end, very pleased with the result, better turn in, no more under steer just feels alot more planted. with noloss of ride comfort. running 18" wheels