MY 04 WRX Geometry....

Search this Thread

Old 29 November 2004, 02:59 PM
S11EPS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question MY 04 WRX Geometry....

Hi guys n gals,

Apologies in advance for stupid newbie question, BUT....

I've heard many people refer to having the Geometry 'done' on their cars, which can apparently result in better handling.

Does this simply refer to having camber/toe in/out adjustments etc or is there something more involved?

Presumably it is a different set up to how the car leaves the factory, so what is different (and to play devils advocate) why doesn't Subaru do it from the factory if it's better? Are there any downsides - Will tyre wear or noise increase etc?

Will this have an effect on reducing understeer, or will that actually require new hardware, rather than fiddling with what I have? If I'm keeping stock set up for a while, will I see a benefit in having this done?

If so, I'm thinking that this could be a nice little mod that Subaru aren't likely to spaz out about, flailing their arms in the air and weeping "warranty, warranty!!"

Can anyone recommend someone suitable to perform the work in my area? I'm in St.Neots in Cambridgeshire.

Thanks
Old 29 November 2004, 03:35 PM
Jiggerypokery
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by S11EPS
Does this simply refer to having camber/toe in/out adjustments etc
It can do. A simple geometry check is nothing more than that.
or is there something more involved?
You can add stiffer anti-roll bars, solid drop-links and an anti-lift kit if you really need to.
Presumably it is a different set up to how the car leaves the factory, so what is different (and to play devils advocate) why doesn't Subaru do it from the factory if it's better? Are there any downsides - Will tyre wear or noise increase etc?
The tolerances used by subaru are quite wide. To set the geometry to tighter tolerances takes time and money. Tyre wear might increase depending on how you like your car to handle, BUT tyre wear might decrease, depending on your driving style and how bad the geometry was from the factory.
Will this have an effect on reducing understeer, or will that actually require new hardware, rather than fiddling with what I have? If I'm keeping stock set up for a while, will I see a benefit in having this done?
Yes, you will probably notice an improvement in the way grip is distributed front+rear. The ARB's and DLs can be added later without affecting your new geometry settings, but an ALK will require the geometry to be re-done.

If so, I'm thinking that this could be a nice little mod that Subaru aren't likely to spaz out about, flailing their arms in the air and weeping "warranty, warranty!!"
Use the prodrive settings and you shoudn't have any problems.