Notices

Knocking shock absorber, WRX MY03

Search this Thread

Old 30 September 2004, 12:04 AM
GREGGYG
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Knocking shock absorber, WRX MY03

I've got this knocking sound from the front of my car, only when I go over speed humps, sounds VERY much like loose pads in caliper. Took the car to a Main dealer, and 8 hours and £60 later, they found no fault. I took the car to another Main dealer for a 2nd opinion. Ive had the car since new, it didn't knock then, it wasn't designed to make knocking noises 13000 miles after purchase, so there is a definite fault, right? I requested a mechanic to drive the car with me present, and within minutes he said 'yes, there's definitely a problem, we've had a few faulty shocks changed under warranty, mainly rear ones'. I have a strut brace which he advised taking off to see if the knocking sound was still there, I did, and yes its still knocking, so now i'm booking it in to have the shock removed and checked! Anyone else here heard of or experienced such a problem? (I had the brake pads replaced recently, and the pads on the nearside front were more worn than the offside)
Old 30 September 2004, 06:44 AM
BradN
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got an Sti 03 and a few months ago the rear near side shocker started knocking which you could only hear at very low speeds. They changed the shocker under warrenty and it has been fine since. The offside rear has started doing the same thing now so the Scoob will have to be booked in again. Someone told me that you should never change one shcoker on its own and they should be done as a pair. I can see the logic but I don't know if this is true. Good luck!