Notices

Knocking from back end of MY93?

Search this Thread

Old 30 August 2004, 05:19 PM
bren@apex
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knocking from back end of MY93?

Our Type RA 93 has some sort of mega stiff coilovers on it. It knocks from the back end over bumps. Are there any bushes that cause issues at the back ends of these cars or is this just over stiff coilover noise?
Old 23 September 2004, 05:09 PM
Beez
Scooby Newbie

I have this exact same problem! Since I bought the car from the auctions the rear has always made a kind of banging/rattling noise - as if the spare wheel or jack isn't fixed properly. My '95 WRX import came with adjustable coilovers that are so hard they're horrible for everyday driving but great for the track. One of the rear shocks busted but they are un-identifiable as they have no name or model on them. By chance, a buddy had bought the same year import and took off his coilovers when he bought them and replaced them with a standard set up. I bought the set off him and replaced the rear pair as I didn't want to shell out the £500 for a new set at just for the rear. However, when I collected the car, the noise problem was still there. So it went back up on the ramps again to discover it was the top mounts (or lack of) that were causing the noise. But because we don't know what make they are, we can't order a new set. I'm currently trying to phone round to see if someone can help, and if so I'll let you know.

Beez
Old 23 September 2004, 08:22 PM
Ayde
Scooby Regular

I had a knocking/clunking noise from the n/s/r on my MY99 UK Turbo whilst going over bumps or dips in the road, I thought it was just something Impreza's did even after fitting Eibach's it still did it. I recently fitted a full set of Whiteline droplinks and found that the noise has gradually got louder, because of the noise getting louder it became easier to work out what it was. I found that if both rear wheels travelled up at the same time (speed ramp for example) the noise did not occur, it only happened when the n/s/r wheel travelled. I ordered a pair of rear ARB bushes from Subaru (only £6) and the problem has gone So it was just a worn rear ARB bush all along. Since then I have found on the SIDC FAQ that this is a common problem on classic WRX's.