Notices

Ohlins coilovers or STI spec C with Prodrive springs?

Search this Thread

Old 18 August 2004, 09:00 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ohlins coilovers or STI spec C with Prodrive springs?

Well, I plan to change my current standard setup (except the Prodrive springs) on my WRX03.
My thoughts are the new coilover kit from Ohlins for WRXs that has quite soft spring rates for every day driving (about 230F-173R) but is also expensive or a set of STI8-9 spec C take off shocks with Prodrive or pink STI springs as have found STI shocks don't mate well with the standards and need little harder springs to "work" while the uprated springs help the overall suspension comfort and reduce the bouncing!
What is your opinion, I never use my car on track days but we have a lot of mountains for spirited driving, what I want in every case is a comfortable ride due to our bumpy roads with performance in mind.
Also does anyone have the new coilovers from Ohlins fitted and can comment about performance, reliability, sealing problems etc and how often they need rebuild (supposedly they are designed for every day driving and need every 3 years or more)?
JIM
Old 19 August 2004, 05:02 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

No one then with Ohlins that care to comments?
JIM
Old 24 August 2004, 02:48 PM
craigdmcd
Scooby Regular

Jim, I don't have the Ohlins set-up on my car but can testify to the quality of there products since I used them on my bike

Craig
Old 26 August 2004, 04:50 PM
Keef69
Scooby Regular

Only just seen this! I have an MY97 STI version 3 with Ohlins. I would thoroughly recommend them. When I got the car it was a very spine breaking ride, great handling, but my girlfriend had trouble even talking to me. (That bit was a bonus!) Over the last 6 weeks I have been adjusting the ride, I am sure you know that Ohlins is adjustable, mine have a **** underneath and I just put my hand under, turn 2 clicks anti-clockwise and the ride is softened a little. Mine are 35 point adjustable, so I have been trying out various combinations, front and rear. I now have a comfortable road going car with handling that is almost identical to when I got the car. Yes, you do lose a little of the handling, but only at the limits and as a road going car that's fine. If however, I did decide to go on a track day, I can wind the suspension up a few clicks when I get there and have superb handling for the track.Upshot of all this, go for the Ohlins and YOU can adjust the ride, you don't have to spend the money out and find it's not comfortable or handling right. Hope that helps,

Keith