Notices

MY04 STI UK Front-offside suspension clonk?

Search this Thread

Old 08 August 2004, 05:20 PM
haynesaj
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY04 STI UK Front-offside suspension clonk?

MY04 STI UK with Prodrive springs fitted and covered 3800 miles. About two weeks ago started to notice a clonk when driving over draincovers, potholes or uneven road on the front-offside. Noise isn't produced on any of the other corners. Two weeks in the noise has now got more pronounced and happening over any kind of uneven surface. In fact its almost a rattling sound now.

Car was fitted with Prodrive spings and full geo setup a few weeks after delivery by Power Engineering and has been fine up until recently. Car seems to handle fine and no problems with braking etc. Can't see anything wrong with visual inspection.

This seems similar to the STI7/UK suspension thread. Anyone with an MY04 STI with similar problems? ..and what have you done to address? Um gonna get it checked into a dealer for a once-over asap methinks

Thanks in advance
Old 13 August 2004, 02:21 PM
haynesaj
Scooby Regular

No advice then?
Old 13 August 2004, 02:26 PM
WH03JAM
Scooby Regular

I had a similar worry on my 03 STI with a clonking coming from the offside rear......turned out that I hadnt replaced the jack properly and it had worked loose.....

Id take it back to the fitting dealer and get them to give a it check over
Old 20 August 2004, 08:29 PM
hugo
Scooby Regular

haynesaj,
I had exactly this problem with the same corner when I got mine fitted to my MY03 STi last month. Took it back and the mechanic who fitted it came for a spin and agreed. Took it apart and apparently due to the arc (?correct term) of the spiral of the spring one loop of the coil was hitting off the one above it. It only happened at low speed over speedbumps or deepish manhole covers. Also was worse with a bit of left lock on the steering. Anyway they took it apart and found that if the spring was rotated around the shock there was an optimum point for it to seat properly. Result = cured. Hope this helps.
Old 20 August 2004, 10:06 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hugo
haynesaj,
I had exactly this problem with the same corner when I got mine fitted to my MY03 STi last month. Took it back and the mechanic who fitted it came for a spin and agreed. Took it apart and apparently due to the arc (?correct term) of the spiral of the spring one loop of the coil was hitting off the one above it. It only happened at low speed over speedbumps or deepish manhole covers. Also was worse with a bit of left lock on the steering. Anyway they took it apart and found that if the spring was rotated around the shock there was an optimum point for it to seat properly. Result = cured. Hope this helps.
There is only one position the spring can be - it's governed by the "indent" in the bottom spring seat.
Make sure the top spring cup is properly positioned, it's assemetrical and you CAN get this wrong! There are three holes in the cup, they must be towards the outside. Also make sure the rubber seat has not moved out of position.
From under the bonnet, remove the cap over the bearing on the top of the strut and make sure the locknut is tight. You'll need a suitable ring spanner and allen key (to stop piston rod rotating when you turn the spanner)
There is a nut at the bottom of the strut which was also removed when the strut was disassembled to fit the revised internal bump-stop. Make sure this ok
JohnD

Last edited by JohnD; 20 August 2004 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Keep remembering things!!
Old 20 September 2004, 04:41 PM
DJ140
Scooby Regular

Is it possible to make all these checks, without removing the suspension? I'm sure the nuts are easily accessible, but what about the positioning?

Mine knocks too.

Dan
Old 20 September 2004, 05:53 PM
jaycee
Scooby Regular

Been there.......!
I wasn't happy with mine after having the springs fitted, harsh ride, banging over pot holes etc. I took it to the dealer and he said it'd be better once on 18's, had them fitted and lo and behold much better!!

Group buy on 18's going on at the mo.

Where abouts in North Yorks are you?

Jason