Notices

Fast road settings - effect on tyres?

Search this Thread

Old 21 June 2004, 05:18 PM
BrynO
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fast road settings - effect on tyres?

Booked my Bug in for Eibachs and geom check at TSL. Have the option to go for standard settings or 'fast road' with which I know the tyres will wear quicker on the edges. I need to decide which to go with, could anyone who has done this give a rough idea on tyre wear with these settings, do they may shorten tyre life from say 10k (cough) to 7K, or worse? cheers
Old 21 June 2004, 08:06 PM
Ayde
Scooby Regular

I had ABP's fast road setup done and have found that tyre wear has evened out (used to wear the outside edges on the fronts) but this was standard from the factory so I cannot comment on tyre wear on std alignment done after.
It has transformed the car though and it now feels a lot more stable
Old 24 June 2004, 07:05 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Depends on what "Fast Road" from TSL means. IIRC, at Powerstation, Fast Road = 1 degree of negative camber and "Track" = 1.5/max negative camber.

I'd always go for max camber (with virtually zero toe in at the front) on a Scoob unless you do lots of miles, especially lots of motorway miles....

Matt
Old 25 June 2004, 09:40 AM
BrynO
Scooby Regular

Had the alignment done this week, I now have -1.08 deg front camber, 1.36 deg rear camber. +0.4mm toe in at the front and +0.1mm at the rear.

I had the Eibachs fitted at the same time. Initial impression (bear in mind I have only driven the car a few hunded miles on the standard settings before)..

- Eibachs have lowered more than I thought -35mm front, -20mm rear, makes the camber angle on the rears look pretty extreme, can't get my trolley jack under the car now!
- Ride is pretty firm, speed bumps are a real pain in the back, from a confort point of view, not sure how I am going to get on with this.
- Seems to pull to the left, may be my tyres, will get a new set on soon & see if that sorts the problem - dont know what else could cause this if the alignment is spot on?.
- Turn in feels great!