Notices

KYB Excel-G Shocks - http://www.buypartsby.co.uk/

Search this Thread

Old 08 June 2004, 07:14 PM
MKC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile KYB Excel-G Shocks - http://www.buypartsby.co.uk/

I want to replace my standard UK MY99 REAR shocks with cheap shocks which are of at least the same standard. Ive hit 95k and my passenger rear touches the arch whilst cornering and with passengers and appears to have less clearance than the drivers side.

I have looked on the camskill site and they have KYBs for £67 each. http://www.buypartsby.co.uk/ have them for £50+vat.

Can anyone confirm that they have these shocks and that they are at least as good as 95k tired std ones ?

Has anyone purchased them or other stuff from the buypartsby web site which is a new on-line purchasing section of the www.autospares-group.com site ?

How easy would it be for a novice to buy the tools and fit them themself ?

Any e-mails or replies would be welcomed.

Thanks.
Old 08 June 2004, 07:26 PM
jtabraham
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hi
Its not too bad changing the rears. You need spring compressors and some brut force to undo the strut nuts. Make sure you mark up the top and bottom spring locations. If its a saloon you need to remove the back seats, then shrink your hands and undo the top mount nuts. It might be worth changing the top mounts aswell, mine were nacked at 73000 mls. Also agood time to consider Eibachs while its in bits.
Keep plenty of beer and cigs to hand.
Cheers
Jt
Old 09 June 2004, 07:15 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't replace just the rears if I were you. You'll also need to find out what car those shocks were originally intended for. They may not work well with your springs.
Old 09 June 2004, 10:06 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

i bought mine from there

got a full set of 4, as a side note i never needed spring compressors for my rears

i could squash them slightly enough by hand to remove and refit
needed them for the fronts tho

they are fantastic IMO
i removed my coilovers and sold them and went to a set of ExelG shocks with sum borrowed uk turbo springs, which ive now removed and replaced with a set of Gmax lowering springs and its very nice to drive, seams a bit stiffer then my 2 mates cars which have tired uk turbo shocks with H&R lowering springs
Old 10 June 2004, 10:41 AM
MKC
Scooby Regular

Default Thanks

Thanks for all of your input. I want an ecenomical solution to provide at least the same handling as the existing tyred shocks, so these would seem to be ok. I will go for a set of four as opposed to just the rears.

Still interested in any other views on these specific shocks.

An idea of the expected labour time for replacing all four at a garage would also be useful.

Cheers.
Old 10 June 2004, 12:51 PM
Richardw
Scooby Regular

Hi,

I just fitted a set of these myself and am a disappointed...to the extent that i want to change them immediately. These are mated to some Eibach springs ( and using various other whiteline bits and bobs ) and they just feel too soft for my liking , in fact softer than the OE ones which were 3 years old.

Im not sure if i have a faulty one that is effecting the overall feel so i need to remove them again and check.

I appreciate suspension stiffness and feel is this is a very personal thing, so take this with a pint of salt.

In terms of fitting, this is technically easy to do and I used the info of scoobymods website. Seriously consider doing this yourself if you want to dso this on a budget and you know how to use a spanner and socket set .. I've not done this before and did mine in approx 6hrs and found no surprises. To make sure all the bolts come undone, I just kept spraying the area each night with an antiseize fluid for a few days before i started the job. The fronts are easiest and rears are a bit fiddly due to the location of the top mount bolts behing the rear seat. Just remember to mark up the camber bolt locations on the front struts and replace these in the same position and also ensure the top mounts are located correctly ( explained in scoobymod instructions ).

Ta
Rich

Last edited by Richardw; 10 June 2004 at 12:53 PM.
Old 10 June 2004, 05:53 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

yours are softer then sum you had on which were 3 years old?
KYB make the standerd shocks for subaru dont they?
Old 10 June 2004, 08:50 PM
mag6/4
Scooby Regular

kyb are fitted as stadard from new to the classics
chris
Old 11 June 2004, 10:34 AM
Richardw
Scooby Regular

stickymicky - sure thats what I thouht as well. But they defo feel softer and the car feels less planted - kind feels like it wallows more. Maybe i have a duff shocker from new , im going to check again in the next few weeks ( its been known before with kyb's as i had 2 replace 2 on my old fto 3 weeks into owning them - got them replaced under warranty and then ok ) or maybe i am just a suspension wrecker

Last edited by Richardw; 11 June 2004 at 10:37 AM.
Old 11 June 2004, 05:56 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

you did reset your tracking/camber properlly after swapping them over???