Notices

Rattle from rear of 02STi

Search this Thread

Old 08 June 2004, 01:18 PM
Lemmy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattle from rear of 02STi

Over the last few months I have begun to hear a rattle or knock from the rear of my 02 STi which seems to be getting worse. It is only occasional and particularly noticeable when travelling at about 20 mph on bumpy roads. It seems ok at much higher speeds. At first I thought it was something loose in the boot so I took everything out except for the spare wheel and it made no difference. My car has done 24,000 miles.

Does this sound like the dreaded NSR damper problem that I have read so much about or could it be something else? If it is the NSR damper, is there now a fix that works, bearing in mind that my car is an 02 model with Prodrive springs and Whiteline rear ARB?

Alan
Old 12 June 2004, 07:20 AM
W 12 X T C
Scooby Regular

Talking

hello alan

i sounds like the rear passenger strut top. someone else had it fixed on there car. i have the same problem on my my03 sti type uk. after he had his fixed "BAH" i phoned my dealer and they know of the problem. at first he said i would have to bring it in so they could look but when he found out i was quite a way from the garage he said he would do the paperwork and change the whole strut on the car so i would only have to go in once. "tiley of bristol". should be done some time next week.
Old 18 June 2004, 05:12 PM
vadimsti
Scooby Newbie

i got the same "rattle" in the rear suspension. right does more sound than the left one. local dealer said this is a common problem, and replacements of struts does not fix the problem (after another 10,000km this can repeat). i might assume that if the matter is in the strut top, then replacement of the strut would be a temporary solution, and bad strut top will cause rattle soon after. Group-N strut top from STI looks like a solution but first I talk to my dealer (got a warranty

btw, have a 2004' STI. near 10,000km rear right rattle started.