Notices

New Shocks needed

Search this Thread

Old 03 June 2004, 04:42 PM
ClintUK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Shocks needed

Done about 1000miles in my 97. It's done just over 70K and I don't think it's ever had new shocks

Buget doesn't allow massive mods just yet, but I presume there are a range of shockers available.

I will be spending quite a few hours on boring motorways so do not want to be shaken to bits, but I enjoy a good corner as much as the next Scoob, so what are the options ?

Thanks
Clint
Old 03 June 2004, 10:54 PM
mark@wrx
Scooby Regular

If you want similair just fit replacement KYB struts from www.camskill.co.uk. They won't break the bank and IIRC they have a deal on at present.
Old 04 June 2004, 08:44 AM
Richardw
Scooby Regular

I just fitted the stnd KYB's 3 weeks ago to my my00 and am a bit disappointed actually...they felt ok for the first week and then softened up a lot on the rear and feel quite bouncy now. Not sure if one of mine is faulty ( gonna remove it this weekend to check ) but the rear doesnt feel as stable as it did before as on part worn oe ones.

If i had the money now i would remove them immediately and replace them with either the KYB AGX adjustables, koni's, p1'a shocks.

Ride quality and feel is always a bit subjective though so take this with a pinch of salt.

Just for info, these are fitted with Eibachs + i have various whiteline bits ( rear 22mm arb, ALK, strut brace ) , bumpsteer and powerflex rear drop links.
Old 04 June 2004, 09:33 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

i used the kyb excel g`s on mine and they feel fine
Old 04 June 2004, 09:58 AM
ClintUK
Scooby Regular

Cheers Guys.

As I'm just getting into the car and improvements what are the obvious suspension mods. I know replacing the original down pipe is considered to be a good 1st power mod, but whats the deal with suspension ?

Had a company car for 4 years and enjoying having a toy again.
Old 04 June 2004, 10:55 AM
Richardw
Scooby Regular

if its a classic, I had to start from scratch and wanted good setup at a reasonable price ( best bang for your buck so to speak ), i would do the following :-

( prices are approx )

Eibach springs £140 ( excluding labour to fit )
Powerstation bumpsteer mod + geometry setup - £120
Uprated front/rear anti roll bar drop links ( MRT/Powerflex) - £140
Whiteline adjustable rear anti-roll bar ( £140 fitted)
Whiteline ALK ( £140 fitted )

This lot would ultimately remove understeer, reduce body roll somewhat, improve stability over bumpy roads, remove squirming under hard braking, improve steering feel and turn in.

Powerstation in Cheltenham are very good for all the above if you live in the south..well worth travelling the distance.

Cheers
Rich
Old 04 June 2004, 11:55 AM
ClintUK
Scooby Regular

Thanks Rich

One thing though is that I live in an area with a million speed bumps and I didn't really want to lower the car.

How would leaving the Eibach springs out affect your thoughts ?

What about Strut braces & up rated front ARB ?

I guess if you up rate the front ARB, the rear has to be even stiffer to compensate?

Clint
Old 04 June 2004, 01:13 PM
Richardw
Scooby Regular

Hi Clint

I dont think either the eibachs ( progressive springs so feel the same as standard ) or the stiffer anti-roll bar make any difference to the ride quality, harshness or noise... i have to keep mine ok for my son who's 9 months old ( + my wife doesnt appreciate chattering teeth ). I've changed spring sets on a few of my other cars ( an fto twice and a vw scirroco ) and I've notice the least change in ride quality with the Eibachs. The drop is minimal and ive not had issues with speed humps etc... ( my wife as an audi s4 which is very low and that catches everyone i dont ) I also used to live down a dirt track ( in a house though ) which had loads of pot holes and also never had any probs. I think the drop is about 20mm max.

The only one that will makes a slight change is the Anti-lift kit for the front end - as these have poly bushes which will transmit the vibration from the wheel/front suspension arms directly to the chassis. You get more noise over bumps and a little more vibration ( dash vibrates a little ). mostly though its fine and worth the extra feel you get with steering / more positive turn in. My wife didnt notice it fitted so that gives you an idea. The same would apply for replacing other poly bushes on the suspension arms etc... having said that, upgrading the rear / front roll bar drop links with the poly bushes inserted doesnt make any difference to noise/comfort etc..

Bumpsteer mod is only a couple of shims ( washers ) to move the steering rack slightly + a bloody accurate geom setup so this wont affect ride quality either.

if you had to short list, Eibachs, bumpsteer, rear arb and geom.. you'll not be disappointed.

Cheers
Rich

Last edited by Richardw; 04 June 2004 at 01:27 PM.
Old 04 June 2004, 01:25 PM
Richardw
Scooby Regular

re the front arb. I was told this isnt totally necessary for fast road use. Powerstation said it was overkill for a car used just on the road. The rear is the one most people seem to do. You can get 22mm one which is adjustable so it can be set to act as 23mm ( best compromise to remove understeer but to reduce possibility of lift off oversteer etc.. ) or 24mm. If you replace the front I think you need to do the rear as well as a front one will cause more understeer so you need to set the rear stiffer to compensate ( sorry not very technical and someone else could explain this much better ). As the scoob is setup to understeer fitting a front would only make this worse.

I personally prefer no roll in my cars whilst still being predictable handling wise so im still not 100% happy with my setup..i'd be interested to here some experiences of front/rear anti roll bar set ups on classics.

I see a lot of comments that the rear arb or bumpsteer is the best value for money mod in terms of the suspension bits - so you could leave Eibachs out all together and improve the handling

Last edited by Richardw; 04 June 2004 at 01:31 PM.
Old 04 June 2004, 02:26 PM
ClintUK
Scooby Regular

Thanks Rich

I'd kind of come to that conclusion myself ie Front ARB upgrade not really worth it for my requirements.

Going to go for Koni adjustables I think, with original springs for now and your recomendations. Far too easy to ramp up the £s !

Clint
Old 04 June 2004, 02:37 PM
Richardw
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ClintUK
Thanks Rich

Going to go for Koni adjustables I think, with original springs for now and your recomendations. Far too easy to ramp up the £s !

Clint

Cool. what price have you been quoted for the koni's... arent they inserts so you need to cut the original damper?
Old 04 June 2004, 04:25 PM
ClintUK
Scooby Regular

grahamgoode.com has them online for £122 each but I'll be shopping around.

Not sure how much work they are to put in yet, it may involve a trip to my Dad's (he has space and tools galore!) or a friendly Watford garage. Depending how acurate the work needs to be it may be a DIY job with angle grinder to annoy the neighbours !

Had a BMW M3 pass me the other day and don't want it to happen again, so I must bite the bullet and get my car sorted ie start spending.

Also had a moment on the motorway at about 80 that made me think the shocks need doing ASAP. Avoided a crash / spin but it was a wobbly moment I don't want to repeat, even so glad I wasn't in my old Focus.