Notices

Best shocks to match STI pink springs

Search this Thread

Old 17 May 2004, 09:31 PM
colin c
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best shocks to match STI pink springs

I have got a set of STI pink springs for my classic Scooby and I'm after a set of shocks that will match these. The shocks I'm running at the moment are a set of uprated KYB shocks, these have come off a Jap import and the piston shaft is considerably larger than the standard WRX KYB's that they replaced. The main problem with these KYB's is they are too firm and I'm now after a set of shocks that will match the STI Pink spring rates.

I was going to buy STI red shocks which I can get locally second hand, or the better choice, all be it a lot dearer would be to use KYB AGX adjustable dampers.

Has anyone got any better suggestions or opinions on the above set ups, I don't do track days, only fast road and I'm running 18's which compromise handling and ride quality.

Any advise appreciated,

Colin.
Old 17 May 2004, 10:13 PM
currymonster
Scooby Regular

I currently have standard sti shocks with eibach springs. I'm running on 18" with 225/35 F1 GSDs. I've also just had the alignment and bumpsteer done by powerstation as well as solid rear droplinks fitted.

The handling is now brilliant, had an awesome drive home along the A483 , Awesome handling. Mind you the AP four pots help with the quick corner to corner driving too!

A set up that definitely works well!

Cal
Old 17 May 2004, 10:31 PM
colin c
Scooby Regular

Cheers Cal,

I see you got rid of Ledas for this set up, I have toyed with getting coilovers now for nearly 2 years but I have now decided to take a more simple approach to getting a good suspension set up. I have spoken to a couple of people with type R's with STI shocks and pink springs and they recommend this set up for fast road with out the hassel of coilovers. Do I pay the extra and get the KYB AGX's for adjustability ?

I'm also thinking of changing my nearly new Toyo's from 215/35 18 to F1 225/35 18,s to improve handling / grip.

Colin.
Old 17 May 2004, 11:14 PM
jtabraham
Scooby Regular

Hi
I have the KYB Adjustables with eibachs and find that they work well together.
I can have the car set up for wife and kids or me mode in minutes.
I feel the ride is better than the standard set up.(MY00) Even on the softest setting the car is still rooted to the road, but is comfortable.
Hope this helps.
Jt
Old 19 May 2004, 12:23 AM
currymonster
Scooby Regular

Make sure you get the XL extra load F1s. I had a bad experience with F1s wrecking wrecking my old UK turbos handling due to a squidgy sidewall.

But the F1s in 225/35 R18 are fabulous, much better grip than the Yokos I had on before - recommend them,

Cal