Notices

Anti Roll Bars - Which ones????????

Search this Thread

Old 04 September 2001, 04:39 PM
MRK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Right I’ve decided to improve my MY00 suspension. Fed up to the back teeth with track day understeer, loads a body roll and no turn in So I’ve spent hours looking through the Scoobynetsearch, and have come to the conclusion that although the Prodrive settings are better than standard I need the bumpsteer mod done, so thats booked in. But what else??

I don’t want the ALK, or stiffer springs as the roads I drive on are bumpy, and the ALK kit seems to force the suspension into working. Now that doesn’t sound good.

1. So would uprated Anti-Roll Bars and rear ARB links be the thing.?.

2. And if so which ones and who from??

Any ideas Chappers??

M
Old 04 September 2001, 05:08 PM
MRK
Scooby Regular

I've just been speaking to Scoobysport, as I would rather give my business to them. And they do not recommend or even sell uprated Anti-Roll Bars or links.??.

They say that you only need to uprate the bushes. Can this be true?????? where they're loads a posts about how great thicker ARB's are.

Please help.

M
Old 04 September 2001, 05:42 PM
Mellow Yellow !
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Difficult one this MRK.
I too had the same problem and wanted a compromise, I was going to go down the DMS Gold route at an exchange cost of £900 but after speaking to various people I went with Mikes advise (after he had spent a long time delving into the in's and out's etc...) from Scoobymania and he supplied and fitted uprated anti-roll bars/links, anti-lift kit etc....I'm not technical, you need to speak with him, however, I worked the car hard at Trax and it was superb, very little roll, no lift on powering out of corners and various spectators commented on how much more firmly planted it looked !
If you need to ask more either ring Mike and he'll explain what he's done to my P1 or give me a call on 07799 - 881188.
Hope this is of some use.
Chris
Old 05 September 2001, 01:15 PM
MRK
Scooby Regular

Thankyou kind sir.

We were on the track together at Trax, and I had wondered what you had done to your car as you seemed to fly around the corners, and all very composed too.

I did call Scoobymania yesterday but got some muppet on the phone who had no idea, so I'll give you a shout later, then ring SM armed with info.

M
Old 17 September 2001, 12:46 AM
MRK
Scooby Regular

Well a big thanks to Chris for the info. And to everyone else who has posted here

I had the Bumpsteer mod and fitted new anti-roll bars 22mm front and rear plus links and the improvement is astonishing

Totally flat cornering, NO thats NO understeer, just sweet controlled steering through corners. I've been around and around a large roundabout near me so many times I was nearly sick OOOPPPPAAAALLLAAAAHHHH, but the car just held her line and zipped round

And through some of my favorite corners I'm doing at least 10mph more, and feeling more confident, wicked

The only down side is that there is an increase in harshness through the suspension over ruts etc.

Highly reccomended.

M

Old 17 September 2001, 04:11 PM
Triggaaar
Scooby Regular

MRK,
Interesting post, thanks.
I hate the understeer on my MY00 WRX. It's on ly really a problem when I'm on track. I had the bumpsteer removed a year ago, and have powerflex bushes on the front ARB, but still get a lot of understeer on long corners that I am trying to power out of.
I presume you had the bumpsteer mod at powerstation. Where did you get the new anti-roll bars? Did you manage to test the differences after each mod, and notice the affect each had?

Thanks
Trig
Old 17 September 2001, 04:47 PM
MRK
Scooby Regular

Hey Triiigaaaarrrrrrr

Yep Bumpsteer at Powerstation, and the ARB's, although they are £30cheaper from Scoobymania. They were out of stock of the front for at least 2weeks, and I'm off to the Ring soon.

I've had both changed.

I did the mod as I do alot of Track days, and am fed up with the understeer.

The Bumpsteer mod helped reduce understeer alot, improved feel and improved the line through a corner, i.e. no correction req'd midbend.

The ARB's dramatically improved feel, annahilated body roll, and have so far eliminated understeer completely. I have yet to try them out on track, but after the Ring trip, I'll know more

So far though the two mods go hand in hand, and are worth every penny, even the getting up on Saturday morning at 06:30 ouch!!!!!!

My advice IMHO is Bumpsteer mod for road users, and ARB's for Trackday nuts or fast road cruisers.

M

Trending Topics

Old 17 September 2001, 07:20 PM
Mellow Yellow !
Scooby Regular

MRK,
Glad you like the mods.
Well worth the looking into then eh !
So, d'ya think you'll be able to keep a bit nearer to me on the track now then
Chris
Old 18 September 2001, 12:12 AM
MRK
Scooby Regular

Chris no worries in keeping up with you now. I could wip P1's before the mods. LOL

Trigaaarrrrr so far has the bars have improved wet weather grip, although the car does seem to move around more in big puddles, and that would be down to the bumpsteer mod

Trig I fitted the bars myself, as I like to play, but they are £30 cheaper at Scoobymania £260ish from them.

Enjoy chaps, and I look forward to seeing you Chris out on track

M
Old 18 September 2001, 11:49 AM
Triggaaar
Scooby Regular

Cheers MRK,
Mme, what to do. I'm very tempted. Does the reduction in roll negatively affect the handling in the wet?
How much did you pay for the new ARBs front and rear, and for fitting?
Old 18 September 2001, 03:53 PM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by MRK:
<B>.....I did call Scoobymania </B>(Scooby Mania)<B> , yesterday but got some muppet on the phone who had no idea, so I'll give you a shout later, then ring SM armed with info. M [/quote]

Oh dear, that wasn't me .

To be fair Mark, it is a highly complex subject and the person you spoke to attempted to help you as best he could. <I>(As an asides, that muppet is (was) an international level Judo bloke, winning a Bronze medal at European competition level.</I>

<I>Sean also said he would have gladly popped them over to you?</I>

Mike.

[This message has been edited by Mike Tuckwood (edited 18 September 2001).]
Old 18 September 2001, 04:35 PM
MRK
Scooby Regular

Talking

Whhooooppppssss. Not intending to aggrevate your staff Mike, its just that I seemed to know more than he, and at that point I knew nothing. LOL

I did call back and spoke to yourself, which was very informative. And you shall have my business in da future. But unfortunately when I called again to order I was told that you were out of stock of the front ARB and that would mean a long wait.

They are a great improvement, and I am V happy but there is increased harshness (I expected that, anyways ), and the instructions could be better made, a poor photo copy with today's level of computing tech is not worthy of such a product.

So hopefully in da future I shall be speaking to yourself and not getting duffed up by your bodyguard. LOL

M
Old 19 September 2001, 11:01 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Sorry to barge in....

But does Mike know if its worth fitting the ARB etc for the MY01 or is that a bit better sorted already??? I'd be interested too if it'll make a big difference

Jza

Old 19 September 2001, 03:54 PM
Stelios
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Bought following (for my MY00 wagon WR suspension pack) to fight body roll (not great understeer, car neutral now but rolls a lot so it "unsprings" at onset of drift) from
Old 19 September 2001, 05:12 PM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Jza.

Yes they are available and the problems (particularly with body roll) are the same if not marginally worse due to the increased ride height and 'refined ride' of the new Impreza.

We have ARB's for the MY01 in stock, ALK has only recently been released but is due in imminantly.

Mike.
Old 20 September 2001, 11:05 AM
Jza
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Mike Tuckwood:
<B>Jza.

Yes they are available and the problems (particularly with body roll) are the same if not marginally worse due to the increased ride height and 'refined ride' of the new Impreza.

We have ARB's for the MY01 in stock, ALK has only recently been released but is due in imminantly.

Mike.[/quote]

Thanks Mike,

Will they work in conjunction with say Eibach springs that are already on the car - or does the suspension need to be standard?

Jza
Old 20 September 2001, 03:54 PM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

They will work with either.
Old 22 September 2001, 08:50 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Have just had front and rear uprated Whiteline ARB's fitted today at PS.Car seems much more composed and stable.Have'nt pushed the car yet but first impressions seem very good.