Notices

Rear camber

Search this Thread

Old 26 February 2004, 10:08 AM
SimonD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear camber

I would normally do a search for something like this but......

The n/s rear wheel of my car has visibly more -ve camber than the o/s wheel. What adjustment is available to correct this and is it likely that something has failed or worn to create this problem. Car seems to drive fine.

I want to get the alignment checked and bumpsteer sorted by Powerstation but if there is a fault I want the dealer that supplied the car just before Xmas to sort it out before then.

Thanks for any help

Simon
Old 26 February 2004, 11:51 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

from memory you cant adjust the rearcamber unless you fit sum camber bolts or sum adjustable rear control arms

my off side has a bit more rear camber due to me messing about and gently persuading it to nudge a kerb

i was planning on having the rear control arms powder coated red for this years show season, but the adjustable whiteline ones look a good buy as well (they come with uprated bushes, which saves me a future job i suppose)
Old 26 February 2004, 06:23 PM
SimonD
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that but what are camber bolts? Where do they fit? Who can supply them?

Presumably adjustable control arms are a pricey but useful addition. Are they suitable for road use (ie not rose jointed or something like that)?

Sorry about the questions but I feel the need to sort this one out.
Old 26 February 2004, 11:31 PM
Postie
Scooby Newbie

I replaced the strut top on one side due to it knocking and it also adjusted the camber of the wheel back to what it should have been, so i would check to see if your mounts are not damaged. Mind it is hard to tell if they are by looking as you can't see much!!
Old 27 February 2004, 01:15 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SimonD
Thanks for that but what are camber bolts? Where do they fit? Who can supply them?

Presumably adjustable control arms are a pricey but useful addition. Are they suitable for road use (ie not rose jointed or something like that)?

Sorry about the questions but I feel the need to sort this one out.
your front suspension should have 1 camber bolt fitted per side, its basicaly a bolt with a cam lobe fitted to it, which when turned moves the bottomof the strut about on the front steering knuckle, this in turn adjusts your camber, you can buy them for the rear of the car, although i was told that you need to elongate the mounting holes for them to work (possible costly job?)

i didnt see the point in buying them to "bodge" sumthing else when i pretty much know that my rear control arms are likley to be a bit bent (cars been lowerd scince so this exclused any top mount issues etc etc

camber bolts are cheaper, i would have thought that your limited in how much you can actualy adjust tho?
Old 27 February 2004, 01:16 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

also
you could try sum second hand control arms yourself and see if that cures it?
the only reason i wanted the adjustable ones was to kill a few birds with one stone (powder coated and uprated bushes)