Notices

STi geometry settings

Search this Thread

Old 07 March 2001, 05:39 PM
Ian Waller
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Bearing in mind that the STi has different suspension to the UK cars, are the geometry settings the same??

Does this mean that if I go for a 4 wheel alignment, and they use UK settings, the car will be set-up incorrectly?

Do Powerstation take this into consideration on there upgrade / modification?

Ian
STi II
Old 08 March 2001, 10:38 AM
samuel
Scooby Newbie

Hello Ian,

Just a quick note to say that when I took my STi to have new tyres fitted the garage offered me Standard or Prodrive settings when re-aligning the wheels. Don't know what the difference is but might be worth enquiring about. Coudn't say if it made any difference to the handling because they were pretty far out before so any change to standard or other would have made an improvement.

Hope this helps.

Sam

[This message has been edited by samuel (edited 08 March 2001).]
Old 08 March 2001, 05:00 PM
PeeVee
Scooby Regular

Hi Ian,

You will find that when Wrx's are imported from Japan the geometry is not normally set for the best handling characteristics. We tend to find that the Japs dial in a 'Toe Out' setting, which really doesn't help with understeer.
Your car will be ok on UK settings, but if you want to get the best from her then the following settings should suit you.

Total Toe In: Front +1mm
Total Toe In: Rear +1mm
Camber Front: 1.1-1.2 degrees negative

All the best

Phil
Old 09 March 2001, 08:26 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

If you go to Powerstation, they will ask you a) what kind of driving you do/intend to do (Fast Road/Track) and will discuss with you what your current settings are and what they recommend they should be.

Tell them what you want and they'll sort you out. They'll even let you go for a spin with your new settings to make sure you are happy with them before you have to cough up.

Matt.
Old 14 March 2001, 08:54 AM
Ian Waller
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys.

If I go and have the goemetry checked, can I have the Prodrive settings on my car (standard STi suspension)? Will this improve the handling? Will it wear the tyres quicker?

Sorry to be a pain.

Ian.
STi II
Old 14 March 2001, 11:38 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Ian, I don't see why Prodrive settings on your STi should be any less effective. But you'll get tyre wear on the inside fronts if you do a lot of motorway driving.

Go to PowerStation. Tell them what you want. Give them £100 or so. Drive away happy. Check that turn-in

Richard Hopkins
Old 16 March 2001, 06:09 PM
Ga22ar
Scooby Regular

This all sounds great, but does/can anybody recommend anybody in the south east fo whell alignment. I'm looking to replace all four tyres on my STI IV, but don't really fancy going all the way to Cheltenham (unless I really have to)

Cheers
Old 19 March 2001, 02:21 AM
daw
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I'll probably be shot down in flames here, but I had have the Prodrive settings and really don't think that much of them. The only reason I can think that people would be impressed with these settings is if it is the first alignment they have had since dealer delivery. Reason being is that the cars are usually delivered with wheels pointing in directions analogous to Marty Feldman's eyes :-)

And yes, I had these "Prodrive" settings done by a very very good shop.

Anyway, I have since found that setting my car's toe settings to:

Front 0mm
Rear 1mm _OUT_ each side, yes OUT.

Steering response and turn in has improved big time and understeer is also reduced. Try it, it makes for a much more responsive car.

I have been told that if you have a thicker rear sway bar then try 0 front and back else 2mm total out.

David