Notices

whats up??

Search this Thread

Old 17 March 2001, 11:54 AM
pumpers
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

last week whilst negotiating a roundabout at a reasonable speed the back end just went on me, I kept the power on and gave opposite lock to no effect other than the amusment of an elderly lady who drove past whilst I ended up spinning and facing the wrong way!!! Didn't think much of it as it was early morning and v. cold so I put it down to black ice. checked tyres and presures ( 33psi ) all seemed in order. Since then have had no problems until today when, again reasonable speed, but accelerating, right hand bend, back of the car again goes but this time I managed to correct it!! again checked tyres, pressures and looked at springs etc which seem okay but i'm no expert. Also checked the road surface which looked fine. I'm now worried. I'm running prodrive geometry settings but the right rear camber is just out of tolerance and couldn't be brought in for some reason- diagnostic says worn suspension parts. This was done over a year ago and I've had no problems however to date. I've recently fitted new front tyres ( toyo's ) but left the rears as they've got plenty of tread. I'm not getting any uneven tyre wear. I haven't noticed any change in the cars normal ride. So- should I be worried? Whats the problem? Why's it intermittent( not done it since but I've been careful! ) How do I check my springs/dampers to see if there okay ? Can I sue the council as they've just put speed bumps on my road which may? have caused this?? ( here's hoping!!) If I need new springs/ dampers or both should I also replace the strut due to the camber problem? Where do I get some cheap Eibachs from? Car is a my93 wrx with 60,000 miles. cheers . pumpers.
Old 17 March 2001, 01:07 PM
SecretAgentMan
Scooby Regular

New tires up front you say...hmmm...could be that...but the difference in grip shouldn't be that extreme. In what type of conditions did all this happen?

If the roads were really wet, and you gave it some serious stick it's the tires...there's an easy way to test it, change the front and rear pairs, if the car starts to understeer, voilá.

/Jerry - Sweden
Old 17 March 2001, 10:27 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Could be all sorts of reasons, but tyres highly suspect. Swap front to rear - at least understeer is easier to control than oversteer. But if it is tyres, new ones all round should restore balance.

Richard Hopkins
Old 18 March 2001, 07:40 AM
WALKER
Scooby Regular

Pumpers

I seem to remember watching a telly program which stated that you should always put the new rubber(if only buying 2 tyres) on the rear axle. They carried out various road tests to confirm the stability and handling of different tyres being fitted to diferent axles.

Paul
Old 18 March 2001, 11:14 AM
pumpers
Scooby Regular

Red face

thanks boys, i'll try it and let you know. secret agent- road conditions were dry and clean with no visible debris. Is there an easy way to test my springs/ dampers to make sure their okay??
Old 18 March 2001, 08:26 PM
SecretAgentMan
Scooby Regular

Does it feel bouncy?
If not...the dampers are OK.

/J