Notices

Which suspension/strut brace???

Search this Thread

Old 16 December 2000, 01:32 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Hi guys and gals, ok, just had PD7's fitted to my my00 uk turbo, now ive got some plans for upgrading the car, ppp, ap 6pot brakes, but what suspension and strut brace is recommended for what i want??
I still want a decent ride but want the car to be flat in the corners, all imput is welcome, cheers peeps

Tony
Old 16 December 2000, 11:23 AM
SteveB
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Tony,

I've had the Leda B suspension on my car now for around a year. The transformation this makes to the handling was IMHO, well worth the expense. Most of the understeer that was inherent with the std set up has now gone. Cornering is much more throttle sensitive, giving you the ability to use the rear a bit more. The ride hasn't worsened much. Cornering is virtually flat now. Don't forget though that this kit has 24 settings, so if you're going on the long steady tour, just soften the car up. My normal settings for general driving are 8 front, 6 rear. I then dial in some more on the front if i'm off for a enthusiastic drive. Pushing the rear up much more and the back end jumps around a bit too much on bumpy roads.
Also, the car looks better 30mm lower.
Let me know if you need some more info.

Steve.
Old 16 December 2000, 05:22 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Cool

Cheers Steve,
what sort of price does the Leda B package cost????

Tony
Old 16 December 2000, 11:39 PM
SteveB
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Tony,

Have a look at
Old 17 December 2000, 06:50 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With a MY00 car, presumably with three year's warranty, you should think carefully before dismissing the (recently improved) Prodrive struts and springs. Prodrive don't prep the rally cars for nothing!

Ditto with engine upgrades, and the PPP is extremely good.

Get some proper brakes for sure. Please don't go anywhere near a track day without a major brake upgrade. I've got 4-pot APs, mainly because they fit under 16in wheels. But I'd love the 6-pots. Prodrive and Scoobysport Brembos are others to consider.

Don't bother with strut brace - a complete waste of money.

But if you really want to transform the grip and handling of your car, Bridgestone SO-2 PPs will do it. £400 for 16in, and £500 for 17in. Their wet grip is just astonishingly astonishing.

Hoppy

PS Get the Powerstation bump steer mod done. Not only will it improve the car, you can then be assured the geometry is optimum. There are so many apparently contradictory posts on here about dodgy handling, especially understeer, that circumstantial evidence suggests that steering/suspension geometry is far from perfect when the cars leave the factory.

[This message has been edited by Hoppy (edited 17 December 2000).]
Old 18 December 2000, 01:56 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Cool

ive just upgraded to PD7's with 215 40 17's bridgestone SO-2's and they are fun!! aint slid the car soo much with sooooo much control since ive owned her ;o) am also going for the ap 6 pots thus the reason ive got the 17's and the ppp is on the list too!!
she needs a touch more grunt on the open roads thus the ppp but then again ive only dont 6.5k and shes still loosening up
cheers again guys, ill look into everything that you have said and start saving too

Regards,
Tony
Old 23 December 2000, 09:04 PM
spudgun
Scooby Regular

Wink

tony, ive got the prodrive suspension on my car. my girlfriend has a scooby without upgraded suspension and she still ****s herself at the ridiculous speeds i can corner at! well worth the dough mate!
Old 24 December 2000, 07:40 PM
IMPREZAIST
Scooby Regular

Smile

What understeer are you talking about?If you throw the car into the corner with the knowledge of awd ,also the stock impreza is not understeering or just a little bit.Bumpsteer is needless i think.
Fit 17' wheels and 215 40 S02s ,your car will be a go cart.These are the best handling upgrades i think.
RB5 has 17' tyres and it beats STIs and EVOs in handling,great handling.
By the way how is the new prodrive suspension??
CHEERS
Old 25 December 2000, 03:25 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Cool

How much is the prodrive suspension package???? it sounds really good value and i only want the best for my car

Tony
Old 25 December 2000, 11:08 AM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Cool

Around 1500 notes fitted from your local Subaru dealer IIRC.

There are two kits, the old one and the new one with Grey(i think?) springs that is stiffer.

Best to confirm with Mike @ Prodrive before placing your order at the dealership

Sunil
Old 25 December 2000, 12:08 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

IMPREZAIST,

I have a fairly good idea of how to drive AWD, and I thought Bumpsteer made a big difference. Have you had this done on your car? I suspect you haven't, judging by your post.

Moray