Notices

Strut top mounts

Search this Thread

Old 12 December 2000, 09:40 AM
Erik
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try MRT Rally od UK dealer Scoobymania. They do upraded strut mounts or contact KYB /www.kyb.com/
Old 12 December 2000, 12:51 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

Question

hi
i have got a broken driver side sturt top mount. does anyone know where i can get these apart from subaru dealers ? the dealers are wanting £77+vat each ?which is a bit excessive i think for what it is

i found some spherical eccentric bearings strut top mounts made by TAS in damon tweeks motor sport 2001 page 232. has anyone tried these before they are made of Aluminium and they allow for quick caster and camber adjustements. i suppose i wouldn't mind a little more caster at the front.

thanks in advance.

sam
Old 13 December 2000, 11:02 PM
MarkF
Scooby Regular

Sam, these are pukka Group A type mounts. There is NO give in them at all. If you want maximum performance and feel, then go for it. If you want a bit of comfort then think twice. I had them on a previous car (non scoob) and they can be a bit harsh. Very good quality though..
Mark
Old 14 December 2000, 09:09 AM
Darren Thompson
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Be careful putting rose jointed top mounts on as you can end up damaging all of the suspension busses due to no play or give in the top mounts can move the strain to somewhere it's not meant to be as we found out on a group N rally car which was cured by fitting nylon bushes all round.
Old 14 December 2000, 11:48 AM
Phil Venn
Scooby Newbie

Hi Sam,

Not sure weather your car is an import or a UK. Spec Vehicle, but Std. Wrx top mounts can be bought for around £45.
These are a different spec to a UK mount so you wouldn't want to mix the two.

Drop me an E-Mail if you're interested.
Or give us a ring on (01227) 864537

Phil.

[This message has been edited by Phil Venn (edited 14 December 2000).]
Old 15 December 2000, 08:37 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

thanks guys
for your advise. i did not go for the up rated ones. i however i went for the STI one from MRT!!! I was told that they will fit the standard uk impreza ?

Phil
aer you sure that they will not fir the standard Uk car ? have youtried to fit them your self. i am worried now. .

you have also mentioned that they are £45 is that including vat ? i have got the pair from MRT for around £80 which includes carriage but does not include vat.

sam
Old 15 December 2000, 11:10 PM
Phil Venn
Scooby Newbie

Hi Sam,

Yes I'm well aware that the UK or STI top mount will fit either the UK car or the Wrx import as they look identical!

The difference is in the compound that the rubber center is made of.
A UK spec vehicle has softer rubber mounts fitted throughout the suspension system.
Where as an imported Wrx has a much stiffer bush set-up.

You will find that although many items on an imported car look the same, they generally have a different part number as the car is built for homologation purposes,(generally stronger & stiffer) for people like ourselves who want to turn them into rally cars.

This is obviously a benefit to road users, as they end up with a vehicle that has suspension which is less compliant, and therefore the car has better handling characteristics than that of a European model.

If you have ended up buying a PAIR of top mounts, then the difference in suspension deflection will be negligible (at least the car will remain balanced!)and won't upset the handling of the vehicle too much. But you must be aware that if you have soft bushes on one side and stiff on the other then this will be detrimental to the overall feel and handling of your pride and joy.

Hope this helps
Phil

[This message has been edited by Phil Venn (edited 15 December 2000).]