Notices

STI SUSPENSION PACKAGES

Search this Thread

Old 03 October 2000, 05:23 PM
P1 WR
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

hi all.i go to the website of sti and i entered to sports parts and then looked at the suspension.there are many kinds of dampers,two kind of springs and lots of pink,metallic things.are they standard on all stis or they are aftermarket parts?
1)which of the dampers is better(grey and blue,pink ar the second pink)?
2)which spring is better(black or pink)?
lastly i want to ask;
type-r or type-ra on dry or wet handling?
thanks a lot for replies.
P1 WR
Old 03 October 2000, 07:26 PM
NITO
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi P1,

First of all, apart from the type R being 2 door and RA being 4 door they are mechanically identical. So handling/suspension etc is exactly the same although the 2 door may have a slightly stiffer bodyshell but I wouldn't think there's anything noticeable in it.

As for the dampers etc. on the STi site. The silver dampers and blue springs are the Prodrive units. The pink dampers and springs are STi optional suspension. Everything on that site are optional and none of them come with any of the STi's as standard. I couldn't tell you how good the STi dampers are having never tried them. The Prodrive ones have been developed for use on UK roads and I use these myself. They are excellent once they have bedded in and I have seen a huge improvement in handling since fitting the competition pink/aluminium STi strut braces. The other pink bars you refer too

are the STi multi link option which uses stiffer bushes and steel stabiliser bar links in place of the standard eurathane part etc..while the trailing arm is adjustable for minute tweaks. This is supposed to make quite a difference to handling also and I have some on order to try them out and see.

HTH
Nito
Old 03 October 2000, 07:28 PM
NITO
Scooby Regular

Cool

okay, picture not working for some reason!!

[This message has been edited by NITO (edited 03 October 2000).]
Old 06 October 2000, 07:46 AM
david
Scooby Regular

Question

Is there anyone on this board who has used any of the setups shown on the Sti site?

I'm thinking of changing mine to the grey/blue setup. If this IS the prodrive stuff, is this the setup fitted to the P1 or is it the Prodrive option for standard Uk cars. Will it be suitable for an sti V?

Cheers,

Dave
Old 06 October 2000, 10:04 AM
P1 WR
Scooby Regular

Smile

i think they are the prodrive option for uk cars and i think the pink dampers and pink springs are better and the multi link ,trailing arms are very good stuff.
P1 WR