Notices

Fitting damper inserts?

Search this Thread

Old 14 August 2000, 07:25 PM
stratman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone fitted new damper inserts recently?
I am contemplating fitting either Koni or Bilstein inserts but I have read past postings that suggest that there is some cutting and drilling required to the original KYB strut...is this true?
I have measured my struts and they are the 51mm diameter thats is required to fit the replacement inserts but I am a bit worried if I have to hack and drill
Old 07 September 2000, 07:04 PM
Swiss Steve
Scooby Regular

everything you've read is true.

ScoobyMike and me both have the adjustable KONI inserts (Fr & Rr) with Eibach's. (Done by Mikes' dad !)

You have to cut around the top of the strut leg with hacksaw and drill a hole through the bottom for the retaining bolt of the new insert. The original dampers are then knackered and get thrown away - you only get to keep the original springs.

You also have to cut a hole in the rubber in the strut top mounts for the rebound adjuster screw (on the KONI's..) Billies aren't adjustable.

The Konis's have softened a little over the 3 weeks since fitting and still have them set at + 3/4 of a turn.

It's a good combination and works especially well with 17" wheels & tyres and PRODRIVE geometry settings

Steve
Old 07 September 2000, 09:31 PM
scoobymike
Scooby Regular

Can only confirm Steve's words.

Couldn't have explained it better. Probably Steve's English is a bit better than mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve, the exhibition takes place in Berne.

See ya

Mike
Old 07 September 2000, 09:43 PM
stratman
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies guys.

Sounds a bit dauntin as a do-it-yourself job.

I think I might wait a while, as I believe that Bilstein in Germany are developing a soon to be available adjustable ride/height kit for the sccoob.
Old 09 September 2000, 09:28 AM
scoobymike
Scooby Regular

Over here there are already Bilstein Kits available with adjustable ride height etc. But they don't have a suitable one for the Scooby.
Included with the Konis there is a manual how to do it. But honestly it should be done by a professional. You need good equipment, time and experience. Can remember the swarring of my dad when he did it for the first time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But never looked back since I've had installed them (so does Steve, don't you!)

Cheers

Mike