Notices

Realistic Suspension Drop ?

Search this Thread

Old 19 February 2004, 04:51 PM
scu-b
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Realistic Suspension Drop ?

Does anyone know a realistic figure that you can drop a WRX and still keep the handling etc, also 18" or 19" rims?

I have been advised against Koni Adj but was not really sure why

I was thinking prob 18" max with maybe a 30mm drop ?

Would this be wise or am i likely to find myself in the fist ditch !

Ben
Old 20 February 2004, 01:22 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi scu-b

You always have to be very careful when lowering a McPherson strut car, as it has a number of negatives, mostly lowering the roll center more than it lowers the c/g. The problem with this is that it means the car will want to roll more during cornering.

The standard ride heights for the various models of impreza are very good as an allround performance and handling package, so it's important to be sure why you want to do it.

18" wheels look superb, but will make your ride more harsh. But if you get really good ones (take great care not to get some cheap heavy wheels) it can make a nice sharp difference to the handling - if that's what you're after. Definitely would not recommend any bigger than that.

In competition, these things are tested, then taken off, and something else put on.. the same with ride heights, etc. The trouble is, the average punter doesn't have that luxury, so you could well find an expensive change makes things worse.

The most important thing is to start from the question "what do I actually want to achieve" as lowering, may not be the answer.

All the best

Simon