Notices

LEDA vs. Prodrive

Search this Thread

Old 02 March 2000, 01:53 PM
chrisj
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

What are your oppinions on the LEDA campaired to the Prodrive.
Old 02 March 2000, 05:24 PM
quattro
Scooby Regular

1) Never owned Prodrive suspensions, but have driven briefly and been driven in cars having them. Always found them to unpleasant and hard/bumpy for what I call a smooth, fast road setup.

2) I regret I could not detect much (positive) difference between my STi5 standard suspension and Prodrive one on a few cars I experienced. I have also driven standard UK cars and thought they were of the same character as the STi but slightly less hard (although at least as much choppy and unsettled in the back).

3) One would expect me to say all the nice thngs about Leda B I have had for some months now and I will not disappoint. Although it took a lot of effort and work to make Leda setup work the way I ( and it seems quite a few others) thought it should be, I am pleased to say targets have been met and even exceeded. I would like to believe I have a setup which gives an even more comfortable and smooth ride than either of the standard setups (and prodrive ones I experienced) while, at the same time, offers high performance roadholding and behaviour of an almost racing option.

Presumably, there will be many members who love the prodrive packages, but you asked for experience and opinions, so here is just one of the many.

regards
q.
Old 03 March 2000, 09:32 AM
JClark
Scooby Regular

Question

quattro

It would be very interesting to know what, exactly, you needed to do to get your Leda setup to your satisfaction. Was it just a case of trying out different adjustments, or have you actually been back to Leda to have the spring/damper rates changed?

The reason I ask is because I am definitely going to change my STi5 suspension, as I want something that is more compliant for our horrible West Sussex roads

What wheel size / tyres / tyre pressures do you use?

Any advice on what to order from Leda, or what adjustment settings you use would be most helpful

Jeremy
Old 03 March 2000, 03:35 PM
Darren Soothill
Scooby Regular

I think the answer to your question is to try it and see it doesnt sound like a very good answer but my car is setup the way I want it but I know that Quattro would say that it is too hard for him and I know that the likes of Mike Nunan have gone down a completely different route to achieve the sort of setup that he wants. I would suggest you have a longish chat with Pete Croney and then try and arrange to go out for a few people with different setups to see which is closest to the sort of feeling that you want.

I know it doesnt really answer your original question but the Leda setup can be made to feel how you want it to feel and that is the biggest difference between it and the Prodrive setup.

Darren
Old 04 March 2000, 06:55 AM
quattro
Scooby Regular

JClark,

As he is most of the time, Darren is absolutely right in his analysis of your situation. I have emailed you something I wrote for those who are interested after my 'quest' for what I thought Leda B should be for a number of those thinking of having it.

Some months later, I am pleased to say, the setup is still as good and even makes me feel I could add one or two clicks on the back end to make it slightly more firm. On the other hand, I don't dare touching anything - I like it so much.

Feel free to contact me off-line if you wish to discuss the matter further.

best regards
q.