Notices

type RA differences

Search this Thread

Old 25 November 1999, 07:09 PM
john philip
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can anybody tell me how my 94 wrx type RA differs from the other wrx variants in spec? I know about low ratio gears,alloy bonnet,no sound proofing etc. What i am after is engine info! Also why is there aclonking noise coming from the rear end when turning low speed corners. thanks
Old 26 November 1999, 12:20 AM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

If RAs come with adjustable centre diff, check it isn't locked (fully forwards), this would cause problems on tight bends, or any tarmac bend in fact.

Apparantly RAs come with lighter glass than standard, which may be why the doors are lighter.

Moray
Old 26 November 1999, 08:53 AM
ransj
Scooby Regular

John,

I've also got an WRX RA about the same age as yours. The engine gives out 260bhp on Jap fuel. The engine is said to be stronger than others due to it being a starting block for rally tuning.

The knocking at the rear could be one of a few things. Check the general tightness of suspension struts, etc. it could be a bearing on its way out. You do tend to get a bit more noise from the transmission on the RAs due to the L/S diffs and lack of sound proofing.

Let me know if I can be of any more help.

Cheers,

Simon
Old 26 November 1999, 09:25 PM
Neil F
Scooby Regular

Moray is right about the glass. The type RA's glass is not actually made to european regulations (it used to be the British Standard's "kite mark" but I can't remember the equivalent). Apparently this is a problem at SVA time; you either have to find a glass set from a standard WRX or STi. However, you could only do that for a 4/5 door as until the P1, they didn't make a 2 door for the UK. I know one Jap. importer who has a friend with a glass etching set........
RA's also come with a water spray for the intercooler I believe.
I don't think the alloy bonnet and boot is peculiar to the RA though as my STi4 has these.
Old 27 November 1999, 09:06 PM
DYNT
Scooby Regular

John Philip - The engine block is a close deck type ..... that is wat being used in the WRC. Is a stronger block then the standard WRX... which is an open deck.

Piston should be Forged but no skirt coating
Crankshaft is stronger
Lifter .... should be solid ... I might be wrong...... where is my engine spec book??

Anyway ... in Japan when U order STI car ... U have lots of engine option to choose from .. so it depends on the first owner.

Cheers.