Notices

suspension

Search this Thread

Old 09 November 1999, 06:22 AM
Ragos Elias
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all,
Looking around here in Greece for uprate suspension I am ,as previous, still confused.
Cause there is no quite well feed back from others.
Leda needs a 40 days time to deliver me the new susp. and the car need to be jacked at the same time to have the O.E. struts with them.Also some reports say that with Leda I'll have strange noices under the car,I suppose from the whole suspension.
Avo claimw that is best from Leda comparing the constuction of the system but I have no feed back from anyone here how the car goes
with them.
Prodrive is another sollution, but I have to wait until the feed back of all other options.
My driving style is limited to fast road use ( You see that you are not the only who have born in wrong country).
Waiting your reply

Elias
Old 09 November 1999, 07:22 PM
quattro
Scooby Regular

Quite a few things here:

1) Being in Greece is certainly not as easy as being in London if Leda suspension is to be arranged. I could be prejudiced (positively) towards Leda simply because I have their B suspension on my car.

2) 40 days delivery time is not as bad as it looks. If you talk to Dave Lyons of Leda as nicely as you can and explain that you need the car on the road and not on the jacks, perhaps there is a way for you to be sent the new suspension first and send them the standard one by return. It does not hurt to ask, does it?

3) There are no 'strange noises' and they most certainly do not come from 'under the car'. During the first few miles from cold (oil in dampers thickens, etc.) there is a low level seal resonance in the dampers which can be heard as a moderate 'rattle'. Not only does it go away as soon as you have driven the car for a little while, but also disappears more or less completely given some mileage. While it can be irritating on occasions, it is a small price to pay for all the other benefits I have found a superior suspension to offer.

4) AVO will claim they are the best, Bilstein will say the same, Koni will not know what to say to give the same message across and Showa may feel they are so good it is not even worth saying a word (this is, of course, a joke but illustrates the point, I hope). Just so that you know AVO is very similar to SPAX and there is a good reason for it, although it is not important here.

5) Prodrive is the Bilstein/Eibach arrangement and, according to many, not very comfortable and pretty harsh and nervous in fast road use. Again, there is a circle of intra-venous supporters of everything and anything Subaru UK/Prodrive say or do ( and I am sure they are equally eagle eyed to notice this and offer an appropriate reply), so let us agree this is totally subjective, after all.

6) Yes, there is a number of other options as you said yourself.

Good luck with your 'quest for the best'.

q.

[This message has been edited by quattro (edited 09-11-1999).]
Old 09 November 1999, 09:11 PM
mark245
Scooby Regular

Quattro, there are many contradictions with suspension, and you have highlighted this. Indeed there are people will be very blinkered to one brand, and Scoobysport users are not immune from this. I have seen it written, and spoke to people who use the Prodrive kit , that it is more comfortable than standard. I have also heard [ and advised by a salesman not to buy it] that it is very harsh? Likewise, contradictory views on Leda. You have got to conclude that what suits one, is hated by the other. So Ragos, I know that it's difficult for you given your location, but theres no substitute for trying the set up on someone elses car, before making an expensive decision. I dont know about ride/ handling, but the industry would put Bilstein towards the top in terms of quality. So Ragos, try before you buy! Good luck,
Regards, Mark
Old 10 November 1999, 06:05 AM
Ragos Elias
Scooby Regular

Well,
Quatro and Mark thank you for reply.
As q. said there is a number of other options that I would like to hear from those who have them.It does not mean that I decide against Leda but I have not heard no other oppinion. Hard to believe that all in SIDC club use only Leda.
As Mark said it is an expensive decision.The black point is that I have no possibility to try before I buy.
That why I wrote to club. To collect your thoughts and make my decision which maybe ( I do not desagree) could be wrong at last costing me a lot of money.

Elias
Old 10 November 1999, 02:06 PM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

Ragos,

In Australia (specifically MRT -
Old 10 November 1999, 03:33 PM
Lee
Scooby Regular

Just to oust the "all in sidc use leda"..dick grimes uses bilstein as the original MY99 was "too harsh"
Old 10 November 1999, 03:42 PM
quattro
Scooby Regular

Ragos,

It does not really mattter what ONLY SIDC members (or any other group) use or do not use. They are not the concentrated wisdom of this world - just a group of people expressing their opinions as you or I would.

Leda is, of course (as are all the other products of similar nature and quality), one of the options. The fact that you cannot try before buying (not that you could do it in the UK unless you knew a number of people with different suspension designs on Imprezas) makes it much simpler in a way - you decide, buy and hope for the best. Assuming all the leading brands are indeed as good as they should be, you cannot do much wrong. Hard and uncomofortable is that and nothing else - so is the pleasant and compliant one. Do not let too many subjective comments mislead you, there is only as much as you can put down to 'personal opnion' in things like dampers and springs which are pretty well defined with their basic parameters of design and values connected to it.

It was amusing to read an implication about Scoobysport customers I (I presume it equally applies to customers of any such company?) being as 'blinkered' as those purchasing from others. Firstly, I do not even expect anyone with some common sense,rational approach, seriousness and driving ability to be blinkered as it is simply not bound to happen. Secondly, there are far too many spoiled egos and hurt vanities around tuning companies and that should never be forgotten. Finally, I personally try avoid buying anything tuning companies have created or 'designed' themselves, but only products from renowned and reputable manufacturers of different things.

I hope my thoughts have helped your dilemma and I will no longer comment on the subject as it takes very little to move from people trying to help into silly arguments.

all the best
q.

Trending Topics

Old 10 November 1999, 04:02 PM
firefox
Scooby Regular

Cool

Howdy..

MRT are resellers for the Whiteline kit...

The Antilift and Roll Bars are actually made by Whiteline...

J.
Old 10 November 1999, 04:49 PM
mark245
Scooby Regular

q, I hope you dont think I was trying to start an argument, far from it. it's just your e-mail highlighted that what's good for one, is not for the other. I for one love to hear peoples subjective views on stuff they have bought and had installed on their car. It is useful, if 9 people say the ride and handling is great of product A, and one person says they had A, but have now changed to B and it is better, then most sensible people would conclude that A is a good direction to head in. Everyones comments are valid, and I personally would like to see more where suspension is concerned, as it seems to attract fewer replies than most subjects.
For the record , i have standard subaru suspension, but am always on the lookout to improve. In the UK there is the possibility to try other suspension set-ups at meet, admittedly as a passenger, but gives you some idea before you make the leap. For Ragos, it seems that his main option is the bulletin board, so as many peples views and opinions on set-ups are useful. Anyone out there to give him any advice?
Regards, Mark