Advice re Suspension Set-up Please

Search this Thread

Old 25 August 1999, 07:06 PM
HammerTime
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Hi all

I am taking my L reg WRX into the garage tomorrow to have a some new discs, pads and braided hoses, and also a suspension setup.

I am trying to get more oversteer under power and braking, or at least get rid of a heap of understeer.

Any advice on what I should ask them to do?

I have been told about front toe out and -ve camber? Will this do the trick?

Thanks chaps!

Hammer
Old 25 August 1999, 08:05 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

Front toe IN not out, could make for some interesting driving. Check the FAQ on the SIDC web site the settings are listed there i beleive.
Old 26 August 1999, 10:00 AM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

I believe that reducing understeer can be
achieved by several means (in addition to
camber settings):

fitting the Whiteline anti-lift
kit (www.whiteline.com.au) and/or the MRT adjustable rear roll bar (www.mrtrally.com.au) is one option.

Closer to home, fitting new bushes (PowerFlex etc) can increase roll bar efficiency and other benefits - although
NVH is increased - PE sell them in Uxbridge
and will be able to give good advice.

I hope this helps!
Old 26 August 1999, 08:14 PM
HammerTime
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice chaps!

Cheers Ian, I've had the work done now and set the susp to the settings you suggested. I've only done about 45 smiles tonight (probably go out again later) but it feels absolutely lovely! THANK YOU!

I also had small bits done to the brakes. I had bigger slotted disks and some uprated pads (sorry, can't remember the name, I'm crap like that! ) put on about a month ago. There was a deffinate improvement but still not quite what I was looking for. Also I ended up warping the disks by driving like a bell end and was getting loads of brake fade after a couple of left foot brakeing bends. The disks had a No Warp Garantee, so they are beeing replaced FOC and I've had some 'Green Stuff?' pads fitted and Goodridge hoses.

WHOAH! what a difference! I can't beleive it. Can't wait till they're fully bedded in.

Also had a rolling-road tune-up.

Clocked 288BHP @ 5,998. Is this good for an L reg WRX? No mods to the engine appart from some kind of induction kit. Makes a cool noise too!!! - Yes I really am this sad. (Check out my name for goodness sake!) Anyway, they said they had an EVO 5 in there earlier in the day, and mind was quicker - cooooool!

Had all the work done by RGS Motorsport in Wellingborough (01933) 441451. What a top place that is!!! I have had all my scooby stuff done there, and have been over the moon with everything they have done. John, is top bloke, really knows his stuff, and always has time to advise etc. Much better than standard garages, because they're dealing with this sort of stuff all day long. If you're thinking of having stuff done, I would recommend them (if your local).

Anyway, must dash. Now what should I do?

Ah yes....

c-ya

[This message has been edited by HammerTime (edited 26-08-1999).]
Old 06 September 1999, 12:06 AM
Stuart Knight
Scooby Regular

288bhp out of L reg (MY94?) is very good. 240 out of the factory is the norm (or is it an STi?). Mine produces 291, but thats with PE Phase1, SS downpipe and backbox, and Blitz induction kit. Are you sure there aren't any hidden mods, or that the rolling road is accurate?