Notices

MY03 WRX Prodrive springs

Search this Thread

Old 28 January 2004, 11:10 PM
PJA
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had mine fitted at TSL yesterday + solid drop links and alignment all carried out by Becky.

The ride is harder than standard but you'd expect it to be. The springs / alignment have reduced understeer but ultimatley its still happens when pushed - I'm not disappointed with the ride, in fact its very good and the handling is much improved.

The only thing I've noticed is that at slower speeds over speed ramps / small bumps in the road the springs "clunk" on compression.
I thought I noticed this on the test run after fitting (with Ian) but I wasn't sure, the lanes around TSL are excellent.

Can anyone offer any comments / advice.

Is it a spring or fitment problem ?

Does anyone else suffer the same problem ?

I'll try to call TSL tomorrow for advice.

Cheers

PJA
Old 28 January 2004, 11:52 PM
phil_r24
Scooby Regular

Hi PJA,

Could I ask how much the above cost you? as I'm looking for places to get the Prodrive Springs fitted to my Sti8.

Thanks.
Old 29 January 2004, 01:07 PM
PJA
Scooby Regular

Phil

The costs was £206 + vat for labour to fit the springs, drop links and the alignment. Power Station would have been a bit cheaper but they were much further away.

TSL seem a profesional company and they allow you to view the work being done.

PJA
Old 29 January 2004, 10:24 PM
DBY
Scooby Regular

Hi PJA so you got the springs done then, well in answer to your question no my car does not suffer from clunking from the springs when navigating pot holes, speed bumps, kerbs ect. The ride quality is not quiet as good as before but compared to previous cars fitted with lower spring kits its a revalation. (koni,Spax)
The only noise that I get from the suspension dept now is when backing out of my drive on partial lock, to full lock is a clunk from the front wishbones when the car drops down the kerb 2 inches this noise is from the ALK bushes. I think you need to give the suspension a few days to settle down TSL have fitted loads of these springs before and I can't see that they would have fitted them incorectly you may have a set that just need to settle down in there cups.

Regards

John
Old 30 January 2004, 08:24 PM
PJA
Scooby Regular

DBY

Thanks for the reply.

I spoke to Graham at TSL and he suggested that it must be the spring wind / design as the Eibach doesn't do it.

At the moment it sounds as if both rear and the nearside front "clunk" not the offside front - strange !!

Could it be they need time to settle ?

I watched Becky fit the springs and couldn't see how they could be installed incorrectly anyway, she did make a point of lining up the front top spring cup with the strut centre line / hub mounting.

I've tried emailing Simon Lines at prodrive (only because he's replied to previous emails) but no response as yet.

I'll mention it to the dealer where I bought them from but I suppose they just say "well we didn't fit them did we!!"

Clunking aside I do like the improved handling and the ride isn't that bad.

How do you rate the ALK ? Is it worth a trip to Power Station for ALK and rear anti-roll bar ?

Cheers for now

PJA
Old 30 January 2004, 09:51 PM
DBY
Scooby Regular

PJA I do rate the ALK it gives much better feel in the straite ahead position it's lost those first few mm of play in the steering that the standard car had. The most notisable thing is you can feel everything that the front wheels are up to ie tremendous feedback which I personaly like. The Whiteline ALK consists of revised lower wishbone bushes giving greater caster angle and is very similar to what is used by Subaru on the spec C for what it's worth. To sum up it makes the front end feel a bit Pointy!! This was fitted at the same time as a Whiteline ARB and solid Alu drop links, the ARB is 22mm and has three settings Powerstation set it up on Nos 3 the hardest which so far has not caused any problems with the handling . However the car is more prone to lift off oversteer now which means if I shut the throttle off sharply in mid bend you can feel the back end wanting to come round but it's quiet catchable and in the right situations great fun! The main benefit from all the above is that the car has the ride and handling to match the fantastic traction that these cars have and along with the 18 PFF7 wheels Godspeed brake kit, PPP my car is now nearly sorted. I have also managed to get some euro import NON AIR BAG 03 bucket seats to hold me in properley going round corners, Powerstation I can thouroughly recomend they do know there stuff.

Sorry about the long ramble but I love my car and can't waite to drive it each day!!

Regards

John
Old 31 January 2004, 06:56 AM
PJA
Scooby Regular

DBY

The seats seem like a great idea - but what did the insurance say about losing the air bags.

PJA