Notices

How badly does the WRX spring kit compromoise the comfort of the ride?....

Search this Thread

Old 28 January 2004, 03:31 PM
papascooby
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question

and how good are the standard brakes on a new WRX?
Old 28 January 2004, 04:31 PM
a2jcy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Have them on MY02WRX wagon find them ok just a bit harder plus strut brace all adds up and feels good as for the brakes they are better than MY95 wagon if thats any help J
Old 28 January 2004, 04:35 PM
DBY
Scooby Regular

Spring kit is fantastic, With PPP fitted brakes are marginal if you use the car in any anger!!

John
Old 28 January 2004, 04:51 PM
DJ140
Scooby Regular

Agree the springs are excellent, the ride is harder but the high speed handling is greatly improved.

PPP and standard brakes are fine for moderately quick road use, can recommend the DS2500 pads for better performance, at a reasonble price.

Dan
Old 28 January 2004, 05:22 PM
Rog Ford
Scooby Regular

Brakes are fine on the road, dangerous on the track. At Oulton they were overheating and fading badly after three laps. A change of front pads to Pagid 4-2s cured the problem completely. Expensive pads, but MUCH cheaper than upgrading calipers/disks.
Old 28 January 2004, 09:14 PM
PJA
Scooby Regular

Had mine fitted at TSL yesterday + solid drop links and alignment all carried out by Becky.

The ride as stated by DJ140 is harder but you'd expect it to be. The springs / alignment have reduced understeer but ultimatley its still happens when pushed - I'm not disappointed with the ride, in fact its very good and the handling is much improved.

The only thing I've noticed is that at slower speeds over speed ramps / small bumps in the road the springs "clunk" on compression.
I thought I noticed this on the test run after fitting (with Ian) but I wasn't sure, the lanes around TSL are excellent.

Can anyone offer any comments / advice.

Is it a spring or fitment problem ?

Does anyone else suffer the same problem ?

I'll try to call TSL tomorrow for advice.

Cheers

PJA

[Edited by PJA - 1/28/2004 9:15:06 PM]
Old 31 January 2004, 09:01 PM
AR
Scooby Regular

Ride with Prodrive springs is still soft compared do S series Audi's. However, roll, whilst reduced, is still pronounced. Anyone know if Prodrive are going to do a damper upgrade also?

Trending Topics

Old 09 February 2004, 11:32 AM
DJ140
Scooby Regular

AR, are you sure you've driven one with the spring upgrade? as there's virtually no roll on my WRX 03MY.

Also, I driven an S4 series Audi and IMO it had more roll than the WRX, due to the increased weight of the car and engine no doubt.

Dan
Old 09 February 2004, 02:32 PM
AR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DJ140
AR, are you sure you've driven one with the spring upgrade? as there's virtually no roll on my WRX 03MY.

Also, I driven an S4 series Audi and IMO it had more roll than the WRX, due to the increased weight of the car and engine no doubt.

Dan
DJ140

I've got an 03 WRX with the upgraded springs (yes they are blue!) and a V8 S4. I also previously had a V6 S4. The WRX is in the middle, less roll than a V6 S4 but more than a V8 S4.

My WRX also has the PPP and 18" wheels but is a wagon which may explain my feeling that it still rolls too much. I'd heard that the dampers are still too soft for Prodrive which has compromised what they could do with the springs. They are still better than the standard ones though IMHO!!
Old 09 February 2004, 04:18 PM
DJ140
Scooby Regular

AR, it was the V6 I drove, I assume from your comments that the V8 is better.

The Prodrive springs on the WRX are quite hard enough for the roads I drive on, generally single lane and bumpy. Any harder and the wife and kids would never go in it, now there's a thought!

I guess a change of dampers would improve things again, anyone got Leda's on their 03?

Is the V8 S4 much faster cross country than the WRX PPP?
Dan

Last edited by DJ140; 09 February 2004 at 04:19 PM.
Old 09 February 2004, 08:28 PM
AR
Scooby Regular

DJ140

The V8 S4 is much quicker cross country than the PPP WRX if you are not really trying with either since you can leave the S4 in 4th and its still quicker than just about anything else on the road. If you really stir the box on the WRX then it will keep up but it still a more nervous car to commit in the corners.

Am I really saying that an Audi outhandles a Scooby. Well yes I am but this is just because the V8 S4 materially outhandles the V6 S4.
Old 12 February 2004, 07:06 PM
Jerry B
Scooby Regular

Just had the Prodrive springs fitted this afternoon, along with the PPP on MY03. Have no other sus mods so I'll let you know when I've had time to try it out.

I know what AR means about the new S4. It has some serious grunt. Instant V8 grunt, any gear. Point-to-point comparisons I couldn't say. I'll have to get my mate to follow me. But if you think that's quick, try the RS6. That's scary-fast! A bit too big to hustle about tho'.

Last edited by Jerry B; 12 February 2004 at 07:11 PM.
Old 12 February 2004, 09:50 PM
Jerry B
Scooby Regular

Initial reaction after 25 miles of my commute on shocking 'B' roads is favourable. A little more 'choppy' or 'jiggly' but not harsh.
Feedback increased in a positive way, sharper overall feel. 'Nods' a bit more on braking over lumps n bumps, whereas before it would 'float' a bit more, but I like it. Just firmer and crisper response to input.
Felt the brakes were pretty good on the 03, heaps better than the '98 two-pots, however, maybe it's the PPP I had done this avo too causing my right foot to become a bit more active, now the brakes seem a little sluggish?..... ...I was giving it some on the 'straightish bits I must admit!
Old 13 February 2004, 03:16 PM
AR
Scooby Regular

Jerry B

Do you feel that it makes the steering a little heavier also?
Old 16 February 2004, 02:17 AM
Jerry B
Scooby Regular

Had more of a chance to try it out now.

Steering has a little more 'weight', or rather it feels more direct, planted, precise - with feed-back!
One of the things that increasingly annoyed me about it before, though I'd learned to compromise elsewhere for the quieter life, was the vague feeling at the straight ahead position, and the slow turn-in. Both have improved dramatically. Floaty feel and wallow gone.
Flatter cornering, power goes down better coming out. I'm very happy with it. I think it's about right. It's a solid ride now and obviously not as 'plush' as before, but it doesn't crash through pot-holes like the '98, but is about as firm as I'd like for the roads I use. To me the springs feel firmer than the 98 while the shocks are possibly a little softer. So it's still a more refined feel.
The problem now, as I have more grunt and confidence inspiring body-control, is that I'm carrying more speed into the corners and am working the brakes harder, but I'm still being over-enthusiastic with the novely of it all at the mo. Can't help it!

I can't see I'd feel a new ARB or links would be necessary. I like a pliant ride and the body-roll has been checked as far as I'm concerned. More sharpness at the front or any stiffer and it would be too edgy for me.
It now looks spot-on height wise too.

I'm very pleased with the whole thing. The PPP has really surprised me too. The car is now transformed to more than I would've hoped for. Throttle response is excellent and mid-range is just awesome now. Loads of torque. In fact with the sus done too, hitting the gas out of corners it has this torque-steer like 'grabbing at the tarmac' feel - I love it! I think I'll just have to put up with the noise and the bean-can tail-pipe for that! everyone else likes it, I'm just an old fuddy-duddy where exhausts are concerned - I prefer stealth mode. But I'll cope!