Notices

MY02 Tramlining & Steering kick back!!!

Search this Thread

Old 20 January 2004, 08:50 PM
Stephen F
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 52 plate WRX Impreza, when new it destroyed the inner edges of the front tyres in 4000 miles.( not unusual apparently!) The dealer reset the geometry and the car has now done 15000mls without any odd tyre wear. I have just replaced the wheels and tyres with a new set from a STI8. The car has always reacted badly to bumps in the road pulling it around making it difficult to drive on back roads at speed and follows ruts on the motorway, increasing with tyre wear. This has improved with the new wheels/tyres but I can still feel the bumps and ruts pulling the steering wheel and in effect actually steering the car. I have read many good reports about Powerstations 4 wheel allignment, would this be likely to cure the problem which is spoiling the whole driving experience. I don't want to cause any warranty problems so suspension changes are not an option until it reaches 3 yrs old.
It has got to the stage that my missus prefers to drive the focus as the impreza is just hard work!

Any ideas folks?

Stephen
Old 21 January 2004, 01:19 AM
haynesaj
Scooby Regular

I had a similar and very frustrating issue with an MY01 WRX. The Problem was especially bad under braking. However I swopped the the OEM bridgestones to Michelin Pilot Sports and it fixed the problem (my only option!). In my case it seemed to be the tyres. I lost some wet grip benefits for dry grip and more tyre squel but it seemed to cure a really annoying issue for me (the tramlining). My MY01 has STI suspension struts too, so a bit of a firmer ride than a standard MY01/MY02.
Old 21 January 2004, 06:10 AM
prana
Scooby Regular

Stephen, most probably your tyres

Old 23 January 2004, 11:05 PM
Stephen F
Scooby Regular

Anybody else with any views or similar expiriences?
Old 24 January 2004, 08:24 AM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

Checking your geometry is only good especially on a well known shop as Powerstation but as previously mentioned I am sure are your tires that cause you all the issues!
If you have also too much camber front or/and toe gives you some strange feeling over bad surfaces as the steering "follows" the ruts but don't worry all Imprezas are very prone to small changes in geometry and this is good thing IMHO not bad as you can fine tuning it!
JIM
Old 25 January 2004, 10:05 PM
DB_SUB
Scooby Newbie

What tyre pressures are you running? I have found that all my Imprezas have tramlined an amount under braking, and on back roads when the tyre pressures are down. I run my pressures at 36 front and 34 rear and have personnaly found that it significantly reduced the tramlining.

Worth a try and it's cheap!

Darren