Notices

Standard vs Prodrive springs vs Whiteline ARBs

Search this Thread

Old 06 December 2003, 08:26 AM
b5m
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

I have a standard STi7 and want to improve the handling. I have read that the STi8 has more grip and better handling but how is this acheived? The higher speed handling (corners at >70mph) on the STi7 is poor, there is way too much roll for the stiffness of the chassis and springs. The car rolls too much and starts working the tyres too early. This is the same problem that I chose to live with on my MY99 and MY00. My cheap and nasty Astra GSi is easier, faster and does so without any protest from the tyres on the same corner at 5-10mph faster.

The Prodrive springs sound like the ultimate solution. But all suspension experts say that if you lower the springs you obviously need harder springs which overwork the dampers. This may get you more speed on the track but on the back roads you lose control. Your dampers will also fail sooner.

I think the WRX and STi7 (and STi8) have 20mm anti-roll bars front and back. Now if you put on a Whiteline 22m adjustable bar you get less bias towards understeer. Sounds great, why dont they just do this at the factory? Larger ARBs on performance models in the range is hardly something new for manufacturers. The Whiteline test on just a rear ARB on a MY03 WRX shows huge improvements on the skid pan and in lap times. This is on the 22mm setting. However on the back roads is the car fitted with the standard ARB going to be faster? http://www.whiteline.com.au/images/d...%20v%20std.jpg

Do these suspension tweaks simply make the car better on track but worse on B roads? This is the only conclusion I can make. The benefit of only changing the rear ARB for a 22mm adjustable is that you can adjust it to suit the conditions and requirements from 20mm(standard) to 22mm (approximately 40% stiffer) and to 24mm(approximately 100% stiffer). So for the rainy season use 20mm (standard) and on the track/hillclimb 24mm.