Notices

Somebody must know....

Search this Thread

Old 17 September 2003, 01:21 PM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The settings to stop my MY01 eating front tyres on the inside edges, the dealers have done it twice and it still is killing the inner edges, the allignment company have supposedly checked it and said all was correct.
But 2 months on, the inner edges are gone on 2 new tyres.
I want even tyre wear, this cant be to much to ask, dont tell me to drive to powerstation or TSL as i dont have the time.

Somebody who has even tyre wear must have the settings that their car is running as my dealer seems lost as what to do.

Thanks in advance.

Zippy
Old 17 September 2003, 02:08 PM
Stuart Knight
Scooby Regular

To get the tyres to wear more evenly you will need to run less camber. Your dealer and local tyre place will probably only set the camber to what the book says (my local tyre place refused to set to my requirements). The downside of this is that you will suffer from more understeer. As I recall the standard settings (on a classic anyway) were only about .5 a degree of negative camber, with the prodive settings putting it at .75 of a degree. I run anywhere up to 2 degrees on track and 1 degree on the road (I have adjustable top mounts), but then I do very limited mileage and don't really need to worry about tyre wear. How many miles are you doing in two months to wear out the tyres?
Old 17 September 2003, 02:36 PM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

Its done around 1500 since it was last done, originally the outer edge of the off side was wearing and the inner edge of the nearside.
Now the offside isnt anywhere near as bad as the nearside which is bald, i'm going to push for new tyres as this will be the 3rd attempt at trying to sort the problem out.
I need some settings as they say the usual, that 'its within Subaru's limits' but dead tyres after 1500 miles isnt right in anybodys book.

Zippy
Old 18 September 2003, 11:30 AM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

Toe settings affect remarkably tire wear, set your tires parallel for less wearing.
JIM
Old 18 September 2003, 05:50 PM
rob@supertracker
Scooby Newbie

It will almost certainly be incorrect Toe. Incorrect Toe wears the edges of the tyres. Incorrect Camber will give smooth asymetric wear right across the tyre (like a plactic coffee cup). If the tyres wear on the egdes run your hand across the tyre, if it is smooth in one direction and rough in the other. It's incorrect Toe setting. Try Steve Tyred & Exhausted in Southport.
Old 22 September 2003, 12:07 PM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

Just had it done at Tyred and Exhuasted in Southport, the N/s was toeing out by 4mm and the O/s 3mm and under load add another 2.5 mm to them figures, the camber was fine.
The guys have re-adjusted the toe on both fronts to 0.0 and the car feels completely different(More precise) and all done for £23.

Thanks to Rob for the advice.

Zippy
Old 26 September 2003, 12:48 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Question

So is 4mm toe out within the Subaru tolerances?
Old 26 September 2003, 01:21 PM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

On Mainlands machine yes,even with what seems like a small amount (4mm)when this is corrected the car feels much better.

Zippy