KW coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 30 July 2003, 09:41 PM
superstring
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi Folks

I'm looking into options for replacing my aging Prodrive "Performance" suspension kit. I know that several people on the board run KW Variant 3 coilovers. But I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with the Variant 1 or 2's?

I'm looking for a kit that performs well in the "real world" (bumpy back roads etc. - no track work involved). From reading the posts regarding the Variant 3's, I think they will be too stiff for my purposes.

Also, does anyone know what kind of maintenance/rebuild schedule is involved with these units (any version)?

Cheers, John
Old 30 July 2003, 11:36 PM
dowser
Scooby Senior

My v3's needing rebuilding after 40-50k km's (lots of track work) - KW did it FOC

Are the v3 stock springs too hard? I've never been in a v3 car with the stock springs, everyone here uprates them at purchase time. Certainly, uprated springs are too much for UK roads, but I recall T-UK is running with stock rates and he felt it was a bit soft?

You really need to try a car with the items fitted to see.

Richard
Old 31 July 2003, 06:25 PM
superstring
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hi Richard

Thanks for the reply It's my understanding that the stock V3 rates are 333 lbs. front, 222 lbs. rear. Compared to what I've been using for the last five years, 180 lbs. front and 150 lbs. rear, I just think this would be too much.

Unfortunately there's no one I know in this part of the world who uses any of the KW versions on a Scoob, so I will be sailing uncharted waters if I decide to go this route.

John
Old 01 August 2003, 02:35 AM
superstring
Scooby Regular

Richard (or anyone else with KW Variant "X")

I've been looking at KW's North American "application guide" and it seems that all KW coilover variants lower the car a MINIMUM of 40mm Is this true??

Thanks.

John
Old 03 August 2003, 08:46 PM
dowser
Scooby Senior

v3's have adjustable ride height - not sure of the others.

Richard
Old 14 August 2003, 05:12 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

I have varinte 1 on my MY00 and they are only ride height adjustable but for me that is sufficient as I am not a rally driver but I have lowered the front by 40mm and the rear 35mm and the ride is ok it corners like a scalextric car and throwing it into corners at excessive speed is good fun and has not come close to letting go yet.

I don't see the point in shelling out for variente 2 or 3 unless your going to be using it on a track or you know and understand how to set up them up correctl. I have an adjustable spoiler on my car but will probably never adjust it because I don't know what is the best angle for it. Similar to adjustable suspension If you don't need it then don't get it. The variente 1 is perfect for my needs. And I do drive like a loon and love throwing it into corners.
Old 14 August 2003, 06:23 PM
superstring
Scooby Regular

Wurzel

Thanks for the reply . It's interesting that you've lowered the back by "only" 35mm, because, from the specs I've seen, 40mm is the minimum these units lower a Scooby....

Do you have any idea what spring rates you're running? How does your car perform on uneven pavement (or do you have any uneven pavement in Germany?...the Nurburgring, perhaps )

Cheers.

John