Notices

Good suspension mod choice

Search this Thread

Old 14 May 2003, 04:30 PM
dhayzen
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi folks.

I'm now trying to decide on suspension mods for a standard MY00 Impreza Turbo. I will shortly be having 4 Eagle F1 tyres fitted by PowerStation and have got a list of other stuff I'd love to have done. Rich is very pursuasive, but I am on a budget!

Possible mods are :-

Eibach springs @ £215 (inc £80 fitting).
Bump Steer & 4 Wheel Alignment @ £120.
Rear Anti-roll bar @ £120 (inc £20 fitting).
Rear links @ £65 (fitted for free with anti-roll bar!).
Anti-lift kit @ £145 (inc £20 fitting).

Anybody got any suggestions of what I should go for as a minimum.
I'm getting the 4 wheel & bump done whatever, it's if I "need" to get the springs/rear anti-roll bar/rear links/anti lift done also.

Regards,
Dave.

Old 14 May 2003, 05:49 PM
VinnyP
Scooby Regular

The wheel alignment and bump steer get my vote as the first choice, the Eibachs seem good value too. I've got all the mods you've listed (except the Eibachs). But I've got Leda Coilovers. They work well together but see this thread re Eibachs and ALK

Cheers

Vince
PS If you are at Powerstaion my car is there ATM it's got the nose up style since the engine's out

Old 15 May 2003, 09:38 AM
7 Foot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also have a MY00 Turbo. This is the order I have done things in.

I had the 4 wheel allignment and bumpsteer done @ PS about a year ago - very impressed with the results but my geometry was pretty 'orrible before they tweaked it.

Whiteline solid drop links - bought them from Demon Tweaks and fitted myself - only a slight difference even with front and back fitted, but must be far superior to the standard placcy rubbish

Eibachs, rear Whiteline ARB, and geometry fitted a week ago @ Powerstation - Most noticeable improvement so far. Really, really pleased with the results. Far less roll and the back end feels so much tighter.

Old 15 May 2003, 09:40 AM
dhayzen
Scooby Regular

Thanks VinnyP for your input. I'm going to get the lot done 'eventually' - but for now I must get the tyres & alignment done - may aswell get bumpsteer done at same time. Just need to decide if changing the springs will make a big enough difference to warrant the money now, or if I should get that done maybe in a month or two once PowerStation have sorted their shock problem out.... I guess it's me just being tight!

What happened to your engine, nothing terminal I hope! Or is it in for 'mods' !?! I will be going to PowerStation in the next week or so & will look out for your pride & joy.

Thanks 7foot... so the most noticeble is the ARB & springs.. ok I guess this makes sense. Do I just bite the bullet & go for the lot except anti-lift... very very tempted! I know my geo is well off - tyre wear is bad on front & handles like a dog on righthand bends so I'm sure I'll see a huge improvement with just geo & bumpsteer. I kinda thinking that I'll follow same route as you 7foot - atleast then I can feel what difference each change makes to the car. I do get alot of body roll, and would like to reduce this as much as I can without compromising ride too much. Obviously shocks wear out, but do springs?

Dave.

[Edited by dhayzen - 5/15/2003 9:47:23 AM]
Old 15 May 2003, 10:57 AM
JamesS
Scooby Regular

Do the springs as well. Got everything listed except the ALK (which has had some mixed reviews.....)on a 00MY wagon

Significantly improved over standard, understeer what understeer?!!
Old 15 May 2003, 11:13 AM
7 Foot
Scooby Regular

Whilst it is nice to be able to feel the effect of each individual mod. I think in this case it makes sense to get the lot done in one hit (money permitting). You will save money in the long term as geometry will have to be set up again if you go back later for springs.

As for springs wearing out I think the Eibachs have a million mile warranty or something ridiculous. Not 100% certain about this but it rings a bell.

Again the ALK has received mixed reviews so I left it out.

TSL are now offering handling packages. I would speak to PS and see if you can negotiate a discount for having the lot done at once.

[Edited by 7 Foot - 5/15/2003 11:16:30 AM]
Old 15 May 2003, 01:02 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

I would get the eibachs, bump steer and alignment done in one go, this will make a big difference to the car.

I wouldnt bother with the pro-dive (anti-lift) kit again, having had it on my previous car. If you must have this one, then it makes sense to do it at the same time as the above mods to save on another alignment. Again, the anti-lift kit works by counteracting the cars standard anti dive geometry. The bumpsteer and aligmnment will make the car much more neutral without reducing its resistance to dive under heavy braking.

The anti roll bars and solid links can be fitted at anytime afterwards without requiring another alignment.

Trending Topics

Old 15 May 2003, 01:33 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

"As for springs wearing out I think the Eibachs have a million mile warranty or something ridiculous. Not 100% certain about this but it rings a bell."

I can't remember this mileage guarantee on my eibachs, but K+N certainly give a "million mile guarantee" on their servicable,reuseable air filters.
Old 15 May 2003, 02:26 PM
7 Foot
Scooby Regular

Ah, could be that.

Knew it was on something attached to my car.

Edited for bad grama

[Edited by 7 Foot - 5/16/2003 9:14:39 AM]
Old 15 May 2003, 06:18 PM
VinnyP
Scooby Regular

Smile

Well it was very terminal But has been used as an excuse for a whole heap of Mods However they must be sick of my constant questions and ideas. See no car to drive means I spend all evening looking on the various Scooby BBS and sites for ways to spend the VinnyP! Millions I wish.

Vince