Notices

Suspension for a Legacy Estate

Search this Thread

Old 09 March 2003, 07:15 AM
Aaquil
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a Legacy Turbo Estate. Sti clutch, Superchip, HKS panel filter, Blitz Boost gauge, Lambda Link. It is running with 1.2 bar of boost (max). It has over 100,000 miles on the clock and needs the dampers etc. sorting out. Any suggestions? I was thinking one of the two:

1. KYB dampers with brand new standard Subaru springs.
2. Koni dampers (adjustable) with lowering springs (HKS/Eibach).

The answer seems simple enough except for a few factors, firstly if I let my insurance know are they going really bump up my premium? Secondly, it is the family taxi and the handling has to be better but not a 'bone shaker'. My wife will kick off if the ride is too firm. I also don't want the ride height too low as I usually have at least two adults and my two year old son in the car with me on a regular basis so I don't want the bottom of the car scraping the road (especially over road humps.

However, if I am going to fit option 1 then I want to know if there will be a major improvement in the awful handling (I bought the car with 94,000 miles on the clock). Can anyone help?

Cheer
Old 10 March 2003, 12:24 PM
STE.W.
Scooby Regular

Location: from the planet Omicron Persei 8. What is this emotion "Wuv" you puny Earthlings speak of ??
Smile

Aaquil, hello.

From the advice and info i've received I can say this with confidence.

Your car will accept Impreza struts from the original shape cars.
You will need to reuse your spring tops to fit em though.

The Estate will not work with Impreza springs as the weights are all wrong.

If You fitted brand new factory Legacy springs onto KYB struts then you will notice a huge difference - as in like new handling.

I dont know if there would be any difference in fitting Impreza struts from KYB against Legacy ones though.

I've also been advised to have my cars geom set up changed to parallel on the rears instead of toe in/out.This will reduce understear and allow the rear to float through the corners.

Eibach dont do Legacy specific springs but Spax do.

If you do go for lowered springs it will make the feel firmer and you will run the risk of grounding.

As far as hiking the insurance costs. I would try before you buy!
Some companies are more freindly than others with mods.

Have you looked through the for sale forum to see if anyone is selling their suspension as you could use the std struts from a low miler that would also make a big difference compared to your tired set up on at the moment?

If youve got the cash then why not look at coilovers so you can set your car to suit your tastes and have the best compromise available.

Have a look at Leggys post from last week or do a search for Legacy suspension and read up a bit.

Hope this helps.

STE.W.
Old 10 March 2003, 10:04 PM
Aaquil
Scooby Regular

Thanks a lot for the good advice. I think I will go for the KYB Struts, new Subaru Legacy Springs and new anti roll bar bushes. I have just got hold of a set of 16" Impreza alloys (I will be putting the new Goodyear Eagle F1's on they are meant to be really good). I think that should firm everything up (I hope!).