Notices

wrx suspension will it fit a legacy

Search this Thread

Old 05 March 2003, 07:32 PM
leggy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking too change my suspension and want to know will impreza gear fit the legacy. thanks leggy.
Old 06 March 2003, 09:56 AM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yes, but if you get normal WRX complete units the car will sit too low as the legacy is heavier.

if you have an estate forget it, the rear on mine was too low to get the jack under the diff

However, if you can get something from the new age cars, which are heavier, similar to a legacy, then this would be good, you may have issues with spring tops and top mounts though. Coilovers are also fine, i have some Ledas fitted to mine (estate) and they are great.

paul
Old 06 March 2003, 01:19 PM
STE.W.
Scooby Regular

Location: from the planet Omicron Persei 8. What is this emotion "Wuv" you puny Earthlings speak of ??
Wink

Leggy sorry to hijack your thread but it might be of use to you as well!

Paul, do you think that I could you use my already sourced my97 Impreza struts with new age impreza springs from Eibach?

I've checked out the cost and availability and if it works it should be a good combo.

Whadda ya think.

Ste.W.

My Legacy is the estate version Leggy - what you got?

Old 06 March 2003, 02:39 PM
magnet
Scooby Regular

What are the issues with top mounts exactly?
cheers
Old 07 March 2003, 06:15 AM
leggy
Scooby Regular

Hi all thanks for the replies ive got a 92 saloon.The problem being a rear shock has gone and handling on that side when cornering is bad. So im just trying to find out the best and cost effective way of curing and improving the car. I am also getting too much understeer for my liking so i need some of your expert knowledge on the legacy to improve it.Changing to used impreza parts seemed to be the best answer as there must be loads of standard wrx bits around.Is the car really too low when using these parts thanks LEGGY
Old 07 March 2003, 08:53 AM
STE.W.
Scooby Regular

Location: from the planet Omicron Persei 8. What is this emotion "Wuv" you puny Earthlings speak of ??
Wink

Leggy, I've done a bit of investigation on this subject and can confirm the following:

You CAN use Impreza struts without major issues.

You can in your case use the Springs but the strut tops must be retained from the Legacy set up. I know some of the lads on here have fitted early Wrx and STI set ups. It will lower the car though so make sure thats your bag!

It's the Estate like mine thats causing the problems as the springs on the Impreza dont support the car properly at the rear and will hit the bumpstops etc.

On mine I'm either going to use my original Legacy springs and tops or if someone can confirm its ok for the use of the new gen WRX springs with some my97 struts sourced last year.

As far as understear is concerned. I spoke to Pete @ SS a while back and was advised to change to geom. settings to "Equal Parallel" on the rears instead of toe in or toe out.

This will allow the rear to float a bit more and dial out some of the under stear from the front.

I also messed on a bit with pressures in the tyres and this helped.

I'm running 34f & 31r on BF Goodrich 205 50 16s and this has also removed a bit of understear.

What size rims you running? 16's make a massive difference if your on the std 15"s.

I have a 16" set in gold from an my00 going spare if you want some on the cheap?

Hope this helps.

STE.W.
Old 07 March 2003, 10:58 AM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I used WRX struts with legacy springs for a time, this was fine.

Spring tops are different on the legacy.

New age struts are different altogether, with different spring tops and top mounts.

Saloon probably isn't too bad with classic Impreza springs, but on my estate it wasn't good. Due to the lower ride height and the fact the Impreza springs are LOWER rates than the legacy, handling wasn't all that good. Big bumps were not handled well, bumpstops were ued frequently.

I'm not sure how new age springs will fit, I suspect you would need the complete strut assembly with top mount.

Spax do lowering springs specifically for the legacy, about £120, coupled with classic impreza struts this is quite a good setup.

You can also buy new replacement struts directly from Kayaba in the UK.

Paul
Old 07 March 2003, 02:27 PM
leggy
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys helps alot.How much is the ride lowered.And what sort of price is about right. There is a set on forsale springs dampers and includes bearings washers and rubbers £250 will the later fit.Pavlo if i buy legacy lowering springs and new struts all round any idea of the price.And are kayaba in scooby shop.Ste.w. im running standard 15 inch wheels not sure about gold wheels right now the car blends into the back ground.But what sort of price and condition and are tyres included.Changing the subject im also looking for a abs sensor any ideas .Aithough breaking without abs is far better on my car with it on i have had some scary moments just didnt think i was going to stop.cheers guys for your help LEGGY