Suspension kit recommendation!

Search this Thread

Old 13 February 2003, 09:12 PM
Huffer
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi everyone
I've just posted my recent pics up in the members gallery and I got told to lower my ride. Now, I've been thinking about this, but I want some advice on which kit, first.

Here's my usual road conditions:
Inner city driving, with lots of corners and variable road-types (chip, metal, asphalt, concrete). Lots of road humps and dipping driveways (attack at an angle or break your airdam). Occasionally I'll hit the motorway (smooth/flat) and also the state highways which are bit like inner city roads, just stretched out over 400km.

So, what would be a good spring package, and why? Also, what do you think would be a good drop in ride-height? I've been thinking 35mm.

Oh yeah - what do people think about adjustable ride-height suspension? So I can lower/raise the car whenever I want?

[Edited by Huffer - 2/13/2003 9:15:32 PM]
Old 18 February 2003, 09:09 PM
Huffer
Scooby Regular

bump!
Old 19 February 2003, 03:14 AM
bigsky
Scooby Newbie

I can relate the experiences I have w/ suspension setups. I drove the oe WRX (02) suspension for about nine months- very compliant (comfortable), good on gravel, not so good on tarmac- too compliant. I went w/ DMS 40 coilovers- spring rates 180/180, adj ride height/damping. This was a very good setup gravel and tarmac and still plenty comfortable daily driving (uses double progressive springs). Unfortunately DMS has some issues w/ inner bushings going bad and mine succombed to this. I have since went w/ STi v7 RA springs/struts, rates 217front/190 rear, no height/damping adjustment however. I love this setup. Not much lowering ~ 10mm, but I'm not a fan of lowering (too much gravel work). This is a very do it all suspension- autox, rallyx, track and getting groceries.

35mm drop is a considerable drop. It will expose many parts of your vehicle that haven't been at risk before. Also if your just changing springs, insure they are designed to work w/ your oe struts (if that's what your running). That's one of the beauties of the RA setup- it's perfectly matched damping/springs.

bigsky