Notices

Car doesn't handle as well

Search this Thread

Old 11 February 2003, 02:59 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

I wonder if anyone else has experienced this. I changed my tyres 4k miles ago from Toyo (at the time I thought they were rubbish) to Bridgestone S03s. At first I thought they were a vaste improvement, but now am beginning to wonder. I thought I was imagining it, but two people have since pointed it out while I driving. One has a WRX and the other is my Ex wife, who's used both my scoobies for the last two years.

The car seems to follow every line in the road and sometimes I'm almost fighting with the wheel. Seems a lot worse under braking It seems worse in the wet also. I can relate it to having a set of Bridgestone RE010 (pants OEM tyres) Does S03s go off ? I had a few sets of S02s and they don't do this

Another question, would an RB5 WRSport have the cambers adjusted to the Pro-drive recommended camber settings from new ?? Do I need to have the cambers check and maybe have the bumpsteer mod done ?

Thanks Phill C
Old 11 February 2003, 03:16 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Phil,

None of the RB5's had any suspension mods whether they were WR Sports or in std trim. That means no springs, dampers, coilovers or geometry changes whatsoever. Unless the owner specifically requested them.

Have you checked your tyre pressures?

Stefan
Old 11 February 2003, 03:24 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

Lol, so Pro-drive didn't even adjust the cambers to the recommended settings or was the build date before they found the light ?

I checked the tyre pressure and it was 34 front 30 rear, as I've always used on standard 17" You notice it more when other people point it out What tyre pressures work for you ?

Cheers Phill C
Old 11 February 2003, 03:34 PM
RB5320
Scooby Regular

some tyres are worse than others as far as tramlining goes but as ozzy says, worth checking tyre pressures. I tend to run mine at 33/28 front/rear but am not sure this is a particularly good setup.

as far as geometry and bumpsteer, I had my RB5 WR done at Powerstation and that cured exactly the symptoms you are describing. The car now drives straighter and is totally stable under braking. Previously the car was a real handful under heavy braking.

Steve
Old 11 February 2003, 03:37 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

Maybe I need to have it all checked then. Perhaps the Ex-misses or landlord has clipped a kerb, I told them I don't mind as long as they told me.

I check the pressures again, and see what that does

Cheers Phill C
Old 11 February 2003, 03:43 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

I've got Toyos and running 34 all round. I've noticed mine going up and down with the very cold weather one day and sh!tty mild weather the next. I've started checking mine daily at the BP garage round the corner from my work. They've got one of those digital pumps that you just tell it what pressure you want and it adjusts up/down automatically.

The Pirelli's on my RB5 tramlined all over the shop. Goodyears and my Toyos are a whole lot better. What's the tread pattern on the SO3's like? V-shaped like the Toyo/Goodyears?

Stefan
Old 11 February 2003, 06:15 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

Checked the tyre pressures again, and they were spot on!! I do agree that they do move around a few PSi according to the weather. The thread pattern on the SO3s is very much like the Toyo, directional V shaped. Help!!

Cheers Phill C
Old 11 February 2003, 07:37 PM
SCOSaltire
Scooby Regular

i dont have a RB5
but...
I have 17" Goodyears...
and in the wet the car tramlines all over the place...
cant help u tho
Old 11 February 2003, 07:55 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Phil,

Try running with lower pressure (say 30 on the fronts), then try upping them to say 34/35 and see if you can feel the difference. I did run lower pressures on my Goodyears, but someone recommended a higher pressure for my toyos.

The only other thing I can think of that may help is re-checking the wheels are balanced (I assume you don't get a vibrations through the steering wheel?) and the geometry/tracking.

Don't think any suspension failures would have that affect i.e. worn bushes, drop links, etc..

Maybe another local Scooby owner would stick their 17's on your car to see if it is the tyres/wheels that are the problem. If I wasn't about 700 miles from Bristol, I'd offer myself

Stefan
Old 11 February 2003, 08:45 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

Wheels don't vibrate and the car is smooth upto about 140 MPH. Handles like a dream around the lanes. It's on flat wet road under braking. I thought I felt a wobble coming from the rear disks when I braked heavily tonight ??

I will try another set of 17" wheels and tyres

Cheers Phill C
Old 14 February 2003, 10:08 AM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

Guys,

Anymore ideas mate ?? Noticed yeterday that it tramlines quite bad on dry roads as well, and it's getting on my ****!!

Tyre pressures are fine

Cheers Phill C

PS Shall I try another set of wheels and tyres ?
Old 05 March 2003, 12:18 AM
Dude!
Scooby Regular

I only have an my00 sport and i have upgraded from standard 15" wheels with michellins on to 17" wheels with (i cant remember the make) but V shaped tyres on and now although my car sticks to the road a lot better it occasionally just decides to wander off where the hell it likes! - Much the same simptoms as you, it's far worse breaking and in the wet and I find when there is a reverse camber its worse too - any ideas?
Old 06 March 2003, 07:55 AM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

Yeah same as I have. SO2s didn't do this at all. Re010 did for the entire life of the tyres. When I fitted the S03s they were fun for a few thousand miles, but are rubbish now

Cheers Phill
Old 06 March 2003, 01:17 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Your not filling them with LPG rather than 02 are you babber? That has an adverse effect on handling

Jza