Notices

Improved cornering - Bumsteer or Geometry set up

Search this Thread

Old 07 February 2003, 08:25 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Smile

My scoob has the classic problem of sometimes tramlining under braking and a tendancy to understeer.

It obviously could be improved. If I went to Powerstation or TSL respectively things would be improved and the car would have less tendancy to understeer.

I am used to the car understeering. Slipery roads yesterday big B/A road run across Sussex and Hants. I was a joy to control the car on the trottle in bends lifting off slightly and gently putting power down to combat the understear.

My questions are -

If I get the car modified will it be as much fun/challenge to pilot down a road?

Will it put it into a hedge backwards, as I am so used to it understeering - Can you get that nice trottle control through bends - will it still understeer as a default (It would obviously take more for it to do this as the car will be set up better) if you went a little too quick into/though a bend?

What are your votes 1. Powerstation Bumpsteer mod? 2. TSL Geometery settings? 3. or leave it alone?

Would be interested in peoples views who have had handlng mods done?

Bets wishes
Steve

Old 07 February 2003, 08:44 PM
LB4
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello Steve
I haven't had the bump steer done as my car doesn't seem to suffer tramlining under braking, and i feel its extrememly stable on rough country roads at speed.
i have however had the anti lift mod done and a 4 wheel geometery done. Before these mods it would suffer sevre understeer in the wet to the point it was one of the slowest cars i've owned round tight 2nd gear bends. In the dry it would still understeer and lifting off would be a pointless exercise, it made the car unpredicatable, i couldn't be sure the back end would step out to tuck the nose back in, and if it did there was no feel through the steering as to what was actually going ... i learnt to just go in slow and out fast.
Now though it feels like a differnt car, the front end grip has improved massively, even at the limit in the wet its almost neutral in a corner, and lifting off now steps the backout in such a controlled manner its actually fun, where before it was scary!!
The steering has more feel around the straight ahead postion which i think is down to the "anti lift", whatever that means.
Old 07 February 2003, 08:55 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs up

Powerstation bumpsteer mod, + geometry settings, + anti lift kit, and if you want the car stiffening a bit, rear ARB and drop links all round.
Alcazar
Old 07 February 2003, 09:18 PM
Beavis and Butthead
Scooby Newbie

Talking

uh, huh huh! he said "Bum steer" huh huh

yeah! heh heh m heh! He drives with his butt! heh he m heh!
Old 07 February 2003, 09:21 PM
rich uk300
Scooby Regular

Old 07 February 2003, 11:22 PM
Echo
Scooby Regular

Cool

I had my MY02 WRX in at Powerstation today. Had Eibach's and geometry done and it has made my Scoob go from ok to fantastic. It's now much more confident around the bends and the whole thing feels so much more stable and together. For just over 300 quid I reckon its great value.

Just these two changes have improved the car so much and the ability to access the power means that it also feels faster - a big thumbs up!

:-)

Mike
Old 07 February 2003, 11:28 PM
DAZ6151
Scooby Regular

have powerstation got a web site so i can compare with tsl scoobysport as am thinking of going down same route in next couple of weeks.

Darren
Old 08 February 2003, 08:57 AM
Stuart J
Scooby Regular

Go to Powerstation for Bump steer, Anti lift kit & rear drop links, made my STI 3 a joy to drive.
Tramlining can also be caused by tyres, I ditched my SO3's in favour of Toyos & that helped a lot although this was pre the Powerstation mods.

Old 08 February 2003, 09:27 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

If you enjoy understeer that much, leave well alone
Old 08 February 2003, 12:03 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Smile

Powerstation it is them. So I can get my 'Bum Steer' mod.
Understeer isn't fun It is just what I am so used to!
Best wishes
Steve