Notices

Retrofit front suspension STi8 > STi7

Search this Thread

Old 04 January 2003, 05:35 PM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd prefer my STi7(UK) to be less road-sensitive at low speed (and I'm aware of the various recommendations regarding rubber, wheel size etc.)

But I notice that MY03 has a revised front setup - and I can't imagine Subaru would put in a modification just for the sake of it. And front suspension/steering issues hardly bulk large on SN. (in 'General' at any rate!!)

So, do the experts know?

1. What exactly they've done?
2. WHY did they feel the need to do it
3. Whether there's likely to be a major improvement in roadholding/cornering as a consequence
4. Whether it's likely to be retro-fittable??

Phil
Old 04 January 2003, 11:17 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Phil,I would'nt get too worried about it.Its probably not very much at all,uprated bushes etc.D'ont believe the hype mate.
Old 04 January 2003, 11:19 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

As for Subaru not putting in something that was'nt needed just remember this is the company that used to have a switch to make the clock display brighter!
Old 05 January 2003, 11:58 AM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

Cynical, that last one, Deep It's just that such a modification seems 'unnecessary'. Now, if I'd heard that the REAR setup was being modified, I'd really have pricked my ears up

So why, I ask myself, has the front higher priority that the rear???

Phil
Old 05 January 2003, 03:51 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Smile

Phil,call me a bitter twisted cynical old goat if you like,but they(SUK) always have to look as though there have been improvements.Even if these are very very minor.Pure marketing imho mate.
Old 05 January 2003, 08:17 PM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

Twisted, cynical old goat.

Well, you did ask

Phil
Old 06 January 2003, 02:39 AM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

<takes anti-cynicizm pill>

The dampers get a more progressive valve design that they call "multi layer" or something like that. Basically it is what the Legacy B4s and GT-Bs get, but obviously tuned for the STi. It is supposed to provide a more appropriate response from the dampers depending on the piston speed.

The car certainly feels a bit more forgiving on the first hit at most speeds and certainly hangs on as good as ever IMHO.

Trending Topics

Old 07 January 2003, 09:34 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

AJBloke,what does the twin scroll turbo feel like?
Old 08 January 2003, 09:55 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

I can't remember the wording but when I read it, it sounded to me like different front lower arm bushes (like say some Powerflex bushes), or possibly with some increased Caster, much like the Whiteline Anti-Lift Kit (pending new name).

I've already had this done to my 7

Matt
Old 09 January 2003, 03:49 PM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Deep,

The twin scroll is nothing short of lovely - the response really opens your eyes, and I can forgive the drier engine note for all the low end oomph and the way it simply screams to the red line. Simply looking at numbers, there's more torque low down than an EJ20TT now, and it fairly lunges for the horizon.

Add to that the fact (IMHO) that the "new" dampers have remomved quite a bit of the low speed jiggle and thump, while maintaining very controlled behaviour at higher speeds = better comfort and a bit less NVH to boot!

All that combined with the DCCD-A is heady combo indeed, enough to make a hardcore Legacy owner take a veeery long hard look...
Old 09 January 2003, 04:04 PM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

Ooops, and sorry Phil (for missing part of your Qs and getting a bit off topic).

The rigidity upgrades have been made to keep toe more consistent, therefore helping both feel and cornering a bit - I believe that sensitive drivers will note a slight improvement. I can't remember if export Imprezas get the rear suspension mount upgrade carried out here - basically the spec C's rear had its own special set up that has now expanded across the range for the C model IIRC.

Cheers
Old 09 January 2003, 05:44 PM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Ah-ha AJB, this looks as if it might be a piece of the jigsaw! You may be aware of the war I've waged with S-UK about a rattly suspension, which is now to be cured by "a solution from Japan". It'd be easy to add two and two to make five..... but what you say would be consistent with them trying a Spec C suspension on a car originally not built with it!

Phil
Old 09 January 2003, 05:56 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Phil

Do you know if this is what IM are getting for your car, or were they as secretive as usual.

Maybe, just maybe i'll get my car fixed before its a year old.

Dunno what i'll do if I get the noise fixed, guess i'll have to get my little daughter to bang something at random when we go over bumpy roads etc.

Shaun
Old 09 January 2003, 06:04 PM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

Smile

Doubt if my Dealer would know, and doubt even more if S-UK would tell him. Propose to do the asking when they do the work, which may not be for a day or three!!

Phil
Old 10 January 2003, 04:09 AM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

Phil,

I have noted your travails m8, and with some annoyance (that it ain't been fixed).

The rear sus upgrade is however related to the mounting of the traling arm - the geometry has been modded to improve the tyre contact patch under high speed cornering, which also prevents some camber and toe change for more stability - all in all another small but worthwhile mod, IMHO. Dunno if that is well explained or not, but I hope you get the idea - it certainly felt even more solid at the back (even taking into account the new end-links).

Sadly that is unlikely to help you in your quest to rid yourself of the rattle...
Old 13 January 2003, 09:55 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks AJ.Or maybe I should'nt thank you as I can feel an order for the STi8 coming on!!!!!!
Old 14 January 2003, 03:03 AM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

Deep,

We've been going on about twin scrolls etc for months

When are you gonna pull that trigger? The US STi sounds mighty interesting too, but the automatic diff tuning may be different according to some whispers I've heard...(read as "less aggresive"?)

Enjoy
Old 14 January 2003, 11:31 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

I wonder if the dccd - a is retrofittable to the dccd of the older cars.
Old 14 January 2003, 03:27 PM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

I asked about the system, and you need a bucket load of sensors to feed the computer, so without ABS (wheel speed sensing) for starters, it is gonna be tough. Then there is all the other stuff and I believe the diff alone (maybe that included the comtroller, but my eyes glazed over) is in the 7 to 800,000 yen zone

Old 15 January 2003, 06:01 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Wink

AJ,c'ant make up my mind!!!! Evo8,STi8,wait for the 2.5litre and mod my STi7 in the meantime? So much to think about,but hey thats half the fun!!! By the way are you in the car business over there in Tokyo?
Old 17 January 2003, 01:53 AM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

M8, if you can't choose from that lot without worrying about your bank balance or bank manager, then you are in a nice place!!

I think you'll appreciate any of them, but since you mention that you want a bit of creature comfort, the STi is still the most liveable - the new one being another step up in the NVH vs. performance stakes.

Oh, and YHM