Notices

Strut Fitting with Pillowball Upper Mount

Search this Thread

Old 12 September 2002, 06:05 PM
pban
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Needs some guidance on fitting dampers with pillowball upper mounts. Maybe a stupid question but to allow the upper mount freedom to move/adjust. What happens to tapered bolt on the bottom that is used to adjusts the camber angle. Are the upper mounts working against the bottom adjustment? Any advice would be appreciated. Also anyone know if C spanners are standard fitment or damper manufacturer specific. Also does anyone know who is supplying Tein in the UK?

Paul

[Edited by pban - 12/9/2002 6:09:47 PM]
Old 10 December 2002, 09:43 PM
pban
Scooby Regular

Nobody know anything about this?
Old 13 December 2002, 01:27 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They are similar adjusments. So +ve on one, and -ve on the other would cancel out, well sort of.

The topmount will also chance the kingpin inclination, which has similar effects to more caster. Where as the offset bolt will only change the camber.

The topmounts can give you a little easy adjustment either way, after setting up, or you could just use them to give huge amounts of neg camber.

More accurate to return the top mounts to their "as aligned" position, so it would be possible to add a little neg camber for a trackday, and live with the slight toe-in it will create. Or stand them right up if it rains on a track day, when you probably want a little extra toe-out anyway.

paul
Old 13 December 2002, 01:42 PM
pban
Scooby Regular

Thanks Paul

So fitting these struts the bolt at the bottom that normally adjusts the camber is used inconjunction with the top mounts?

Set the camber on the strut to say 1.5 neg and the top mount in the middle then if I want more camber for a track day then just increase there and then, alternatively reduce?

Is there enough movement with both the bottom bolts tight to get anymore adjustment?

Sorry for all these questions but you are the only one that replied to my post.

Paul
Old 13 December 2002, 10:00 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Once the bottom bolts are tight, the hub and strut should rotate as a whole unit around the ball-joint on the end of the wishbone.

I think that max neg camber on the bolt is -1.5 degrees on a classic, can't be sure though.

What you need to do though is make sre the topmounts are in the middle (and mark with line, paint or similar), and the people doing the alignment don't cheat and use those to set the car in the first place.

Paul
Old 13 December 2002, 10:20 PM
pban
Scooby Regular

Cheers Paul

The top mounts have a calibrated scale on them and the chap I'll get to do the alignment is good. I shall fit the struts myself, which I've done many times on my STI 5 but I never fitted height adjustable with adjustable top mounts. Will be interesting I think, but basically setup the camber using the normal bottom bolt adjustment, the use the top mount for increasing/decreasing the camber on the track.

Cheers Paul