Notices

Suspension settle/drop????????

Search this Thread

Old 12 November 2002, 08:40 AM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Not so long ago i fitted some STi5 dampers and Pi springs (and took the brakes off at the same time to fit 4 pots and sprray the rear calipers). Once on i had the car laser aligned but i have noticed something a bit weird. From time to time after stopping (not particularly hard) the car sort of settles down (i.e it drops at the back left).

I have tried tightening the main top bolt but it seems ok, as do the other bolts (top and bottom). So what could cause this. I notived on the front top mounts they had a bearing in them so it could spin but the rears didn't.... so could i have got the top mount not quite in line and as such it's a bit twisted? If so how do you get it right???

Help! .

Tony.
Old 19 November 2002, 11:44 AM
dnb
Scooby Regular

I'll be replacing my rear dampers in the next month, so I'll have a look. I take it that you have checked the top spring cups have the little nicks facing outwards and that the hole where the srtut goes through them hasn't got enlarged, letting the spring cup sit skewed? Daft idea I know, but it's not impossible...

Another daft idea - when I took off my old front dampers, they had a 17mm nut on the top of the strut. The replacements were 19", and the strut top was thicker. Therefore everything fitted together much more tightly. Just a thought - if you go the other way.

[Edited by dnb - 11/19/2002 11:47:39 AM]
Old 19 November 2002, 01:49 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Yep... i think that the cup isn't aligned properly.... it's only on one side and that's the side i had a bit of a'problem' with when i fitted it..... i.e it wans't quite right so brute forced made it right . Should have undone it and aligned it properly. Now i've got to take it off again and i'll have to bleed the bloody brakes again and i paid £75 to have it aligned (hopefully tho it won't do too much to the alignment 'cos it's a back stru not front).

Tony.
Old 19 November 2002, 03:47 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

I tried brite force on mine, but it made some quite distressing noises. Had to take it apart again to make it better.

Good luck.
Old 19 November 2002, 08:30 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Possibly could be the spring rubbing on the inner arch. The spring top isn't concentric, if you get is **** about face, it puts the spring into the arch. I assume if this is happening it will slip eventually and settle.

Worth checking

Paul
Old 20 November 2002, 08:21 AM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys,

im pretty sure now that i've not got the top cup right.... it's not far off but it will be making the spring twist slightly and may just be touching the car. If i open the boot and 'bounce' on it the right strut makes a sort of 'twanging' noise like the spring is twisted.

The spring compressors are out and ready.... think i'll do it on saturday. Hope it's not too cold or wet .

Tony.