Eibach springs - ok under warranty

Search this Thread

Old 12 June 2002, 10:32 AM
Jamesn
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Matt,

I was thinking about getting the strut brace and uprated front and rear anti roll bars fron JW racing. What brand is your strut brace? Cost etc.?

The uprated metal anti roll bar mounts seem like a good idea also.

[Edited by Jamesn - 12/6/2002 10:34:12 AM]
Old 11 November 2002, 05:14 PM
Richardw
Scooby Regular

Hi Folks,

Has anybody had 3rd party supplied Eibach springs fitted by their Subaru dealers without having any warranty issues on related suspension parts ? + are the standard shocks suitable with these?

I noticed the Prodrive driver enhancement package has Eibach springs and Bilstein shocks but my wallet doesnt stretch to this just at the moment....not sure how much but i guess its in 1k range.

I was thinking maybe Subaru wouldnt consider this as invalidating
the warranty if the set of springs are the same as the Prodrive package + they fitted them.

Anybody had any success or horror stories

many thanks
Richard
Old 11 November 2002, 10:30 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Question

What MY (model year) do you have?

Matt
Old 12 November 2002, 08:38 AM
Richardw
Scooby Regular

Hi Matt

Ive got an MY00...I noticed on the Prodive site you can get the springs seperately for the MY01 but not the earlier models.

Cheers
Rich
Old 12 November 2002, 09:27 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Richard,

In your case I would go for the "old" Eibach Pro-Kit springs with a proper Geometry setup from somewhere like Powerstation or TSL (or even better, coupled with the Bump Steer Mod from Powerstation at the same time ). Technically this *may* effect your warranty but I did this and did not find a dealer that seemed to care. It's a safe mod and very worthwhile (IMHO). I suppose that technically, a dealer *could* deny a warranty claim for say new dampers but I doubt they could link this to any other failure.

Have a chat with your local dealer to see what their reaction would be. Also, you'd have to be quite eagle eyed to spot the springs had been changed as they are grey and once they get the usual road crud on them, you can't really tell the difference just by looking at them.

Chris L's old standard MY99 looked as low as my MY00 with Eibachs on it so you can't always tell by the ride height either (and Eibachs only drop it about 20mm anyway).

Hope this helps,

Ta,

Matt
Old 12 November 2002, 10:03 AM
Richardw
Scooby Regular

Hi Matt

Cheers for the advice...I'll check with the service manager.I know the mechanic didnt seem to think it would be an issue but better check with the chief. I didnt think dampers would be included in the warranty anyway....are they on the stnd 3 year one?

I was planning on a trip to Powerstation after for the geometry - What is the bump steer mod you mention..could you let me know what the benefits/price are?

Cheers
Rich
Old 12 November 2002, 11:31 AM
Richardw
Scooby Regular

Cool...thanks for your help Matt

Trending Topics

Old 25 November 2002, 11:03 PM
Matt Churchill
Scooby Regular

I have heard of "someone" with Eibachs on, who has also had two OEM struts go, bith were replaced under warranty.

Guess it is just down to how well go get on with the dealer.

Matt
(BTW Matt, how's the STi?)
Old 25 November 2002, 11:42 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Good Matt thanks

Ta for asking Matt

Ta,

Matt
Old 26 November 2002, 10:01 AM
Richardw
Scooby Regular

Hi All,

I double checked with Lancasters in Reading and they wouldnt have a problem with this either. They were really open minded and even gave the name of their most reliable / cheapest supplier for these.

They said it wouldnt invalidate any other part of the suspension warranty at all and just wouldnt cover the springs ( which have their own eibach 5 year warranty anyway )

Cheers
Rich

Old 01 December 2002, 02:40 PM
Jamesn
Scooby Regular

Question

guys,

I've looked through a lot of the eibach history on the site, and there seems to be mixed opinion on the eibachs.
I appreciate that they do lower the car that much, but then yopur dampers live longer.

I have just had a set of the pro-kit springs fitted and had my car adjusted to the Prodrive settings at Elite (rainham).
Things seem O.K, but the ride feels a little softer - due to the progressive springs i guess, but I do not feel that there is any real improvement over the standard items as ther is still loads of body roll associated with a left to right turn etc.

What are the latest views on these?
I am thinking about having them removed for something firmer.
You would thing £350 (fitted) would offer some improvement.

How about a list of happy / not happy types of springs.
Old 01 December 2002, 07:47 PM
orbv
Scooby Regular

What car you had them fitted to Jamesn?

Few weeks back had some fitted to a my02 and made loads of difference. Hardly any roll in corners and little more bumpy in a straight line. This was the new eibachs. What version u fitted?
Old 02 December 2002, 08:58 AM
Jamesn
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I had them fitted to a UK MY99 (Late 2000spec).
It has dropped the car a little, but the rear does till seem to roll about quite a lot.
Not the firmer result I was hoping for.
Old 02 December 2002, 08:59 AM
Jamesn
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

just adding,

These were the Eibach Pro-kit springs.
No mention of version..
Old 02 December 2002, 09:09 AM
Richardw
Scooby Regular

Hi James

Interesting results on your car...My main aim with fitting a set of these was to remove some of the roll, so this makes me a bit concerned about buying these now.

I'd also be interested to get some feedback on other spring kits available + people's experiences of these and the Eibachs on an MY00.

Cheers
Rich
Old 02 December 2002, 09:11 AM
Jamesn
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Richard,

Do not be too alarmed, as others seem to think that they are good.
I just didn't get the results I was after - Not for £350 anyway!
Old 02 December 2002, 09:30 AM
Richardw
Scooby Regular

Hi James,

What were your expectations of fitting these...I'd be interesting to know if they were similar to mine ( even though this can be highly subjective)

I noticed in the scoobyshop that Demon Tweaks sell an Eibach kit as well. This one doesnt mention Pro-kit, is about 20 quid cheaper and states that they lowered the car by about 30-35mm ( as opposed to 20-25mm ). Not sure if these are fundamentally different springs
( i.e. not progressive ) to the pro-kit so I'll do some digging.

Cheers
Rich

Old 02 December 2002, 11:42 AM
Jamesn
Scooby Regular

Cool

Rich,

The springs which I purchased were the only ones which Elite could supply in the eibach brand. They are listed on the paperwork as -30mm.

The car has dropped slightly, but doesn't look "low" but then i guess 30mm is not that great. Now that I have got used to it, it does look lower.
I drove a new STI V7 a few months back, and liked the ride (rather firm - but reassuring) and was hoping for micracles by buying springs. This has not happened.

What I didn't want though is a crashy ride that handles badly.

Old 02 December 2002, 11:58 AM
Richardw
Scooby Regular

Hi James

Thanks. Just a few last ( possibly dumb ) questions -

Is their less body roll than the original springs or would you say there is minimal change?

Has the overall handling improved - is there any noticable difference due to the marginally lower CG.

Do you feel this has removed some of the understeer ( as it says it does on the tin )?

Cheers
Rich
Old 02 December 2002, 12:31 PM
Jamesn
Scooby Regular

Cool

Richard,

I've only had them on for 2 days.....
But, I cannot notice any significant change at all.
I would have thought things would have been more noticeable.

Roads have been wet, so i'll have to let you know about the understeer.

My mk2 toyota MR2 handled better that my scooby does - this pisses me off - it was totally standard.

It's a fair bit quicker though!!
Old 02 December 2002, 02:58 PM
Fat Blerk
Scooby Regular

I've had a set of Eibachs on a '99 RB5 for about three weeks now and am delighted with them.....

Noticeably less body roll, dive and lift.... still a comfortable ride (although not so forgiving with deeper potholes!)

The worst thing I could say about them is that they are a touch "springy" when it comes to small bumps etc.

Also find it much more neutral in corners, with easy control of understeer / oversteer. I decided to give them a go after driving a '96 with coilovers, where I was horrified at the thought of driving for any length of time, especially on a motorway (it was like being sat in a tin box while someone kicked it around!)

Overall, it's one of the best things I've done to the car, and one of the cheapest!
Old 06 December 2002, 07:23 AM
Matt Churchill
Scooby Regular

I'm really pleased with them on my 99. However, I did have a front strut brace and bumpsteer done at the same time, so which bit is responsible for what I am not sure!

Car is much better under braking, and corners far better than it used to. Like James said, is a bit lower, but not drastically.

Next stop - rear strut brace, anti roll bar and drop links
Old 06 December 2002, 08:49 AM
Richardw
Scooby Regular

Thanks Guys..will probably still go with this option once the xmas shopping has been exhausted...now let me see, £5 woolies vouchers for everyone and new suspension + tyres + bumpsteer mode for me..sounds perfect
Old 08 December 2002, 10:14 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

I had the Prodrive Prof suspension kit for few months in my MY00 and I can say that is very good kit, there are two available the WR and the Professional with different characteristics and different springs but quite expensive.
The Prodrive/Eibach springs lower the car about 2,5cm front 1,8-2cm rear =lower CoG for less body roll, better turn in response and less understeer.
As far as I know there are more than one Eibach kits available in the market except the Pro kit for example GGR/Eibach progressive kits etc. What is very strange is that the Pro-kit lowers more the rear of the car compared with front!!!
Theoritically this gives more understeer but Eibach probably corrects this by giving a very high spring rate rear (91>188 while front is 171.
Although all the Prodrive/STI kits for the old shape Impreza lower more the front of the car and have lower spring rates rear which at least says something. I know there are many happy Eibach pro-kit customers out there but if you search there are other kits as Whiteline's Select (lower/progressive) wich are not too soft not too hard in reasonable price with very good comments from NASIOC club members. No personal experience though.
JIM
Old 09 December 2002, 07:40 AM
Matt Churchill
Scooby Regular

James, I've got a Whiteline strut ...........

I seem to remember that it was around £85. I've been really pleased with it, and all the range looks pretty good. Also, helps that Powerstation stock and fot it, which is good for me as it is only 20 mins away!

Matt
Old 11 December 2002, 11:26 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Rich,

Yes, the OE springs and dampers are covered under the standard car's warranty and if you replce them with the PPP suspension pack (£1200) then so are they. If you fit the Aftermarket "Grey" Eibachs then obviously, then are not covered on your warranty as they are not Subaru supplied parts. You are right that you can't get Subaru supplied Eibachs seperately for the <MY01 cars which is why you have to buy the "Grey" Eibachs from somewhere else. Incidentally, the springs that come as part of the PPP Suspension pack are Eibachs but are different to the OE "Grey" Eibahcs and you can't buy the PPP Eibachs seperately. Got all that

If you do a search for Bump Steer Mod there has been reams written about it.

Ta,

Matt

[Edited by mutant_matt - 11/12/2002 11:29:55 AM]